Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious about your experiences with different bullets for these rifles. I have done a little load development with the Hornady 325 FTX. Should be an okay choice, but I am sure there are others to consider.

BTW - these are kicking my butt at 2184 FPS. No pressure signs but maybe a little hot?

Thanks everyone!

Greg

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Curious about your experiences with different bullets for these rifles. I have done a little load development with the Hornady 325 FTX. Should be an okay choice, but I am sure there are others to consider.

BTW - these are kicking my butt at 2184 FPS. No pressure signs but maybe a little hot?

Thanks everyone!

Greg
My two pet loads are a gas-checked 405-grain cast (55 grains of Varget), and the 400-grain Speer JSP (45 grains of IMR 4198). They both crony at 1,800 fps and they both "kick my butt". However, I like 'em and they both absolutely flatten deer. I'll be the first to admit that both of these bullets going 1,400 to 1,600 fps would still whack whitetails.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If the OP is shooting 325 FTX at 2184, he's already handloading...lol. That's almost 150 FPS faster than the factory load and close to the .450 325 FTX Hornady load. It's probably a +P load.

Not sure what more the OP wants from a load, but the factory 325 was VERY accurate in my old 1895G. Last time I shot the factory load I got a 3 shot group of 3/4" followed a bit later (5 mins?) with a group of 3/8".

I've never found the 325 FTX lacking in performance on deer or hogs. This big Georgia boar was taken with factory 325 FTX at about 120 yards and it was a pass through on the heavy shield.
Hunting Deer hunting Plant Trophy hunting Sky

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

Thanks everyone!

Greg
My "go to" for my 1895 Cowboy 45-70 is my 405 gr. cast bullet load is with either my 420 gr. Cast (Lyman # 457193) or the LaserCast bullet, 28.5 grs. of XMP 5744 (AA 5744 or Accurate 5744 - all the same powder), CCI 200 primer in Remington brass. Chronographed Velocity = 1,425 fps.
One or two or three of these won't "kick yore butt" but will let you know that you've unleashed a thumping round. That .45 calibre slug cuts a BIG Hole and you really don't need that 2,000+ FPS to kill anything in the lower 48. After all, millions of bison were killed with 405 gr. lead bullets at ~1,250 fps.
I've killed deer and feral hogs with this load and all have been pass through's. Some were DRT and some (of the hogs) ran 30 to 50 yds. None were hard to find! LOL!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
363 Posts
425 Grain GT Cast bullet with 15 grains of Unique in my 1894 Cowboy has climbed to the top of my list lately. The same powder load but with a 405 cast works incredibly well in my Henry. Both bullets plow through hogs and deer.

Lots of good powders out there such as 5744 (Buffalo Rifle), Re7, 3031, and 13 grains of Red Dot makes a great pinker and short range hunter with cast bullets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your info! This is what I was hoping to hear and some good ideas to pursue. Yes I am a hand loader. I was just a little surprised at the results I was seeing, and not so sure it is necessary to be sending lead downrange at those velocities.

Thanks again all. I really appreciate it!

Greg

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I use 405gr and 465gr cast with a wide flat meplat. When everyone tells you their favorite loads you might work your own load up because their load may not be right for your gun. I have run into that several times. Use your loading manual and go 1/2 gr gr at a time to find the best accuracy.

Reactions: Truchot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use 405gr and 465gr cast with a wide flat meplat. When everyone tells you their favorite loads you might work your own load up because their load may not be right for your gun. I have run into that several times. Use your loading manual and go 1/2 gr gr at a time to find the best accuracy.

I appreciate the safety reminder! I always research very deeply before dropping the powder and watch for any pressure signs! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm loading Berry's 350gr plated bullets with 43gr of RL7. I like for the powder to rest on the primer so I use a 1/8" thk 45 cal paper card over the powder. Velocity is around 1800fps and recoil is noticeable but not excessive. Makes tight groups at 50yds (iron sights)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Earlier I used Speer SP 400 gr bullets, factory loaded by Sako before I got die set for 45-70. That was awesome round for moose hunting, MV0 555 m/s, one shot to the lungs and DRT.

Since the EU will ban lead bullets, not yet but signs are there, I started loading Barnes TSX 300 gr and it performs well. It lacks the shock effect Speer bullets has, but it is great lead free alternative.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I appreciate the safety reminder! I always research very deeply before dropping the powder and watch for any pressure signs! Thanks for the info!
Just a friendly reminder about pressure signs... About the only instant brass pressure sign you can really get is sticky extraction. Your gun will be loosened up before you see ejector shine and brass in distress. Some of the old timers here have stated that brass gets shorter if your are running too hot. I have not seen this myself yet.. Maybe thats because i have not overloaded the rifle yet.

Your velocity measuring device is more useful than ever on these types of actions.

I have gone to the point of hard compression with the Hornady 325gr FTX bullets with both Reloader 7 and IMR-4198. Surprisingly just about 4/10ths above book max and your bullets start popping back out. Then the die needs to be screwed down, and a strong crimp to hold everything in place.

With the stiff loads i was nipping at the heels of 2150 fps in 40-50° temps. I have since backed off doing that, and settled on a load around 47.3 grains of IMR-4198. that gives me around 2050 fps. Surprisingly to me... IMR-4198 has pretty stable velocities between 38-75°.

I normally don't do any shooting outside of that range here in western Oregon anyways.

I bought a pile of Hornady 325 grain FTX and Hornady 300 grain JHP bullets a couple years ago. It does not make economical sense to try anything else now.

I hate trimming brass... Never again!!

I have a large pile of trimmed and ready top go, brand new brass. Glad all the work is behind me now.

Trying to find out how many firings one can get with with out of 45-70 brass.

So far i am on 8 firings and it appears there is no end in sight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a friendly reminder about pressure signs... About the only instant brass pressure sign you can really get is sticky extraction. Your gun will be loosened up before you see ejector shine and brass in distress. Some of the old timers here have stated that brass gets shorter if your are running too hot. I have not seen this myself yet.. Maybe thats because i have not overloaded the rifle yet.

Your velocity measuring device is more useful than ever on these types of actions.

I have gone to the point of hard compression with the Hornady 325gr FTX bullets with both Reloader 7 and IMR-4198. Surprisingly just about 4/10ths above book max and your bullets start popping back out. Then the die needs to be screwed down, and a strong crimp to hold everything in place.

With the stiff loads i was nipping at the heels of 2150 fps in 40-50° temps. I have since backed off doing that, and settled on a load around 47.3 grains of IMR-4198. that gives me around 2050 fps. Surprisingly to me... IMR-4198 has pretty stable velocities between 38-75°.

I normally don't do any shooting outside of that range here in western Oregon anyways.

I bought a pile of Hornady 325 grain FTX and Hornady 300 grain JHP bullets a couple years ago. It does not make economical sense to try anything else now.

I hate trimming brass... Never again!!

I have a large pile of trimmed and ready top go, brand new brass. Glad all the work is behind me now.

Trying to find out how many firings one can get with with out of 45-70 brass.

So far i am on 8 firings and it appears there is no end in sight.

I appreciate the thoughts for sure! And good to know pressure sign info. I am not trying for max velocity. It isn't a 7mm or 300 win mag. I noticed as I am getting a little hotter, the group is opening up. Current load is V120. I have some with Accurate (escapes me at the moment) and IMR 4198 (one of the online vendors had some just prior to loading so I picked it up).

I have 100 pcs of brass not trimmed for the 325 FTX. And just picked up another 100 Powder Valley happened to get the other day. I do not intend to trim. I figured I would try some of the more traditional rounds with these. Looking forward to it.

The rifle certainly has more kick to it than I anticipated so having to make a couple adjustments.

Looking forward to hunting this year! It's always fun, but with a new rifle list a little bit more.

Thanks again my friend!

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts