Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us here (and sadly too few) have volunteered to help others here at Marlinowners learn how to cast boolits. Well luckily the person I was paired up happens to live only roughly 30 minutes away from me.
After doing alot of research and reading, I am proud to say that "Pick" from here at MO cast his first batch of boolits today. In fact he probably cast around 250-300 boolits for use in his 1895GS. He is well on his way to understanding the relationship between pot heat/mold heat, when to steam cool the mold, and also got a lesson in tumble lubing boolits.
On an unfortunate note though "Pick" also learned how addictive casting boolits can be. I saw the first symptoms of his impending addiction appear just as he dropped his first mould full of shiny new Ranchdog
350gr .460 boolits. The only known relief for this addiction(as thereare no known cures) is to buy more moulds and cast lots more new shiny boolits.
For those of you who want to learn how to cast boolits,and may have just missed the boat, be patient.
When all the "students" are up to speed on casting, they in turn will volunteer to teach how to cast as sort of a "Pay it forward" type of deal. Also I will always be willing to help guys out either through PM's/phone conversations.

good shootin'
johnny

·
Registered
117 Posts
45-70justbecause,

Well you do not wait long to let the world to know :) I am not sure that I even made it home and you have this posted already.

You are right about the amount cast today. I have exactly 251 keepers from our session today (yes I counted each one). Now if we guesstimate for the throw backs and such we are in the 260 to 275 range.

Now to get my self full set up. I have been melting down wheel weights and range scrape already. Need to scrounge up a bottom pour pot and some molds.

I am taking a break from lubing and will be researching were to start my loading. Given the powders that I have and the information I have from the Lyman #49 on the pressure and working with the table from Modern Reloading (2nd edition) and the hardness measurement of apx 14 BHN, I am looking to load up 34g of IMR on top of a standard LR primer and see how they do.

I will report back latter this week on that, hopefully with target pictures to post as well.

Thanks Johnny ...

·
Administrator
14,841 Posts
Congrats to Pick for being willing to learn and to Johnny for volunteering to be a mentor. That is what we are about here and MO and ya'll make me proud.

Dave 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts