Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve attached a PDF file showing cast and jacketed bullet pricing for the 45/70 off of the MidwayUSA website as of 2/28/11. I’ve sorted the list from cheapest price per twenty to most expensive. This is not their full line of available bullets, just ones that I have either reloaded or ones that I’m interested in.

Suter’s Choice and Meister Hard Cast come in the cheapest followed closely by Oregon Trail and Hunters supply. Hunters supply is the only cast I’ve reloaded and that was in 45 Colt. I’ve been working with Remington and Hornady jacketed up to this point in my 444 and 45/70.

If you have any experience with any of these please weigh in and let me know if you would buy them again. If you're not sure about the bullet description the link should work for each to open it's webpage.

Thank you,

·
Registered
890 Posts
How are the Rem 300 JHPs in the guide gun? I tried the Rem 405s and the overall length was too great to cycle in a lever action.

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Shot a lot of Meister in the past and would again, but have switched to Precision Cast a Michigan caster my local Sports shop stocks.

One thing I would say is to get your pricing on lots of 500 or 1000 for a little better pricing.

Meister has that crayon lube and as such I kept the velocities down when using them. No real problem as I bought them for plinking not hunting, though would not hesitate but would be very careful picking my shots.

I would also research the price differences in bulk buying Berrys Plated bullets also.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I didn't have any problems with Meister cast bullets in my 45C revolver. I just found that casting my own was cheaper, and a reason to go out to the man cave.

rimrock

·
Registered
890 Posts
I ordered some Dardas 350 gr 45-70 bullets today. I'll let you know how they shoot when I get them. They were $17/100 plus about $5 shipping. Seems like a good price and they are supposed to be great.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Coalsmoke said:
How are the Rem 300 JHPs in the guide gun? I tried the Rem 405s and the overall length was too great to cycle in a lever action.

Did you crimp the 405s on the shoulder? They worked fine in my two Marlin.

Papalote

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
Buying in bulk is the only way to go, once you know which bullets your gun likes. If I wait for a sale from Midway, and use my "Special Birthday Pricing", I can get several thousand bullets with free shipping at a substantial savings.

Compared to regular pricing, I can save 40% if I time it right. I have a birthday coming up soon, and 4,000 45 slugs would make a great present to myself! 8)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Papalote said:
Did you crimp the 405s on the shoulder? They worked fine in my two Marlin.

Papalote
What did you crimp them with? Will a Lee Classic (mallet powered) Loader do it? I didn't try because I didn't think it would work.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I use the Lee factory crimp die. I know little of the Lee loaders. I took a couple of nilgai with 405s and the guide gun few years ago.

Papalote

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
Coalsmoke - that 405 is the same bullet Remington loads in their factory ammo and it works great through a Marlin 1895, either factory or handloaded.

All you have to do is seat it to the little step or shoulder, to the same as the factory cartridges. Then it will work slick as all get out! Good bullet too, for many purposes. I just used a simple roll crimp over that step, with my RCBS dies. Used that bullet exclusively for several years. Heck, even consider just buying a box of the Remington factory stuff to set your dies with. Besides it shoots good, very mellow, easy shooting ammo.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I will try the roll crimp.

Sorry about hijacking your thread 1895Gunner, not my intention.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there 1895Gunner -- I'm a big fan of just about anything Laser-Cast produces. Their 350 grain cast bullet is a great all-around projectile. There is plenty of versatility with powders and quantity there-of. It falls into the "comfortable" shooting bracket. My last order was for 6,000 350's back when the price was almost half of what you're showing! Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback fella's! Keep it coming. Since I don't have a lot of experience with cast I truly appreciate your input. I was leaning towards the 300-350gr for general purpose range and light hunting rounds to be used in the 45/70 & 450.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts