Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 45-70 I've had some Sierra 300 gr JHP and some Hornady 300 gr JHP on backorder forever at several major online retailers. Anybody having any better luck finding jacketed bullets for 45-70?
From what I gather manufacturers are devoting all of their production to higher volume demand bullets like SMKs and FMJs in 7.62 and 5.56.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My dad ordered and paid for some Sierra 300 grain fer his .45-70 LAST March. Still waitin fer them so I can load him up some rounds he likes. I want him to try lead but he don't.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
With the amount of demand for 45-70 guns on For Sale websites, you would think resellers would have some to sell.

But, I've been known to be wrong.

I have been buying Hornady 325 Gn at LGS. I have 50 re-loads in 400 Gn. Now if I can get my yard work done between rain storms, I might be able to get out to the Range!

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding; I can't believe it; got a notification yesterday from Midway that they had the Hornady 300 gr. JHP in .458 I had on backorder; I added a couple of more boxes to the ones I had on backorder. As of right now there websight still shows them in stock. Better get them while you can.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Always nice to buy them in bulk if possible in lots of at least 500.

I have sold my big bores and now have a .32 as a big bore, got a 1000 cast and at the moment I have 500 jacketed on hand.

Odd thing I'm having trouble finding locally is 110gn Sierra Varmint for the 30-30 got plenty of other wgts and cast.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Here is the deal, IMHO, you need to use 310 gr or 400 gr lead bullets. They are very accurate, available year round, and the folk I buy from can answer any reloading question about the 45/70. Give Penn Bullets a try, I will put the URL Below.

Penn Bullets: Welcome To Penn Bullets INC.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Having traded my 1979 made Marlin 45-70 for a 1974 made Marlin 44 Magnum, I really need to take stock of the 45-70 components I have and list them for sale. I think I have at least 3 boxes of the 300 grain Hornady bullets.....

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
It's a shame he won't try cast. Properly loaded leading is no problem and they'll certainly get any job done that's required from plinking to big, big game. I have several boxes of Lazercast that are almost always on the shelf. I also have a bunch of Cast Performance bullets on hand. Even the premium cast bullets make it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.