Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boy and girls -- There has been some discussion lately, mostly directed at reloading the 45-70 cartridge, complete with bulges and crimp issues. I thought I’d offer up a few ideas on getting to the point where one needed to apply the crimp. I’ve been using the RCBS Cowboy dies and I think they do a great job. Here is how they play with a 405 grain Laser-Cast bullets sized to .459”. The brass in the pictures has been fired at least 10 times.

A full length size gets everything back where it’s supposed to be. Worrying about wearing out a case mouth is a waste of time. It will wear out eventually. With at least twenty loadings within reason, one or two more or less isn’t worth sweating. It’s the price of doing business.

A proper bell and flare will probably do more to extend case life than partial sizing. It also establishes the case neck tension holding the bullet. A proper flare will allow the bullet to enter the case neck to about the first lube groove on these 405 grain bullets. You can see the light reflective lines on the first case, sized only. The second case shows the edge of the case mouth flared. You can’t see or feel the bell if done correctly.

The second picture shows the bullet, the bullet sitting on a case that is sized only, and the bullet in a case sized, belled and flared.

And finally we have the bullet seated and crimped. Notice on all these cases the reflective lines are straight, except at the case mouth of the flared case. Also notice the case with the seated bullets has no bulging.

I’d like to suggest that doing a complete operation on reloading, from sizing to crimping will produce quality ammunition and eliminate many aggravating problems with feeding and chambering. It may also increase accuracy. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind (I’m not on the RCBS payroll and no blue poly tarps were harmed filming this blurb.)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Are you using the RCBS crimp die or the Lee factory die that everyone on here likes so much? Just curious as I'm almost to the point of buying equipment....thanks

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there Jonny V -- That whole series is with the RCBS Cowboy set. It provides a nice roll crimp in my estimation. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd like to compliment you Wind on the visual presentation of your information here. I decided to run only 405 cast through my CB and I now have 40 or so cast and lubed awaiting the cases.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey there 300yddog -- Thanks. The Cowboy's are super sweet rifles. I'm all-over rosy and in love with my LTD II as well. It shoots the 300, 350 and 405 grainers incredibly well. The 405's just a hair better than the others. I'm gonna try the 405's more extensively as well in the Sharp's. It would be great to settle on one load for both rifles. Best regards. Wind

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I have a problem with crimping my 45/70's with my Dillon 550. Called Lee yesterday and found out my shell plate is to thick to use the LFC crimp so sometime this week I will buy another press just for the 45/70! it will be a Lee press and I'l use the Lee FC for a good crimp.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Howdy,

I looked at the RCBS website yesterday and saw their .45-70 dies but they weren't specifically labeled "Cowboy". Are these a special order or simply another name for their .45-70 die set ?

Thanks for the help,
randyc

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey there RC -- The GMDR tables on the Laser-Cast web site have been very informative as well as useful. They show a 13 grain of Unique load under the Laser-Cast 405. It's rolling along about 1200 feet per second, smacks a dinger hard, is accurate, and down right fun to shoot. I figure it'll go through a couple elk if I can get them to line up and hold still long enough!! Those tables list a wide variety of powders and bullet weights. Well worth checking out. Here is a video of some of them at work.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
I have a problem with crimping my 45/70's with my Dillon 550. Called Lee yesterday and found out my shell plate is to thick to use the LFC crimp so sometime this week I will buy another press just for the 45/70! it will be a Lee press and I'l use the Lee FC for a good crimp.

I use the LFC die on my Dillon 550B. I had to use the lock ring off another make if die to reach the 1 or 2 threads left at the top of the die but it works fine. I find Lee dies are not the best for the Dillon but they will work. Give it A try. Might save you from buying A new press.

·
Registered
380 Posts
How 'bout getting a spare plate over to a machine shop and have it milled to the correct thickness?

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
lee factory crimp die on dillon

Hey Pardner,

All you need to do to use the FCD on a 550 is to grind down the OD of the base of the die so that it clears the shell plate on the 550. I have two 550's and a 1050. I use the FCD for 38 spec, 45 acp and 30-06. For the 45/70, I use the Redding profile crimp die. A while back my nephew won a guide gun and it has a chamber that is .050" shorter than my old micro groove, (purchased new in 1975). The old rifle likes 2.10" brass, but his needs 2.050" brass. I simply cut .100" off the base of the die and ground the OD to where it would clear the shell plate. Now I get a firm roll crimp on the shorter brass. Have been loading 45/70 since 1978. Bought first 550 in '85.

Hope this helps.

New member Mark.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey there Jonny V -- About the same latitude, just another 100 miles further east!! My sister lives in Sedro Woolley. Might have to meet up on my next trip west. I'll buy ya a cup of coffee. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

The Lee Factory Crimp die is a huge waste of money with cast bullets. Waste you money on more bullets or powder or something else.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Hey Wind.....would you mind if I moved this thread up there in the sticky (45-70 reference topics)?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts