Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 38 Marlin at a show,so happy didn't realize for a week that it was bulged.Shoots fine and about the only way it is noticable is when running a rod with patch through it..How serious is that??A friend has an Ithaca Mag 10 that is also bulged.Can it be used safely??Thanks for opinions..modoc

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Ringed bores are fairly common in rimfire rifles- most usually seen in target guns from my experience. The .22 rifle is okay with it's lower pressures, and will still shoot well depending on how far the bulge is from the muzzle.

Your friends mag 10 should not be shot any more- the bbl needs to be replaced- there is limited steel on a smooth bore to hold back high pressure- it becomes dangerous once weakened....

Edit to add- I'm assuming the bulge in the shotgun is plainly visible from the outside of the gun...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys,about what I expected on the 22 rifle.On the shotgun.being so near the chamber worries me the most.If it was further out he could chop it off and have screw-in chokes installed. He has tried every place we could think of for barrels,NO LUCK.Thanks again..modoc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts