Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone could explain this to me, Ive seen it around but I dont understand it. Suppose to help save brass. I see the picture, but all my .45acp brass doesnt seem to have that extra ring, is that where the bulge would be? Would I still have a bulge with my cases? I probly have 1000 cases, different brands, but they all seem to be made the same.
Mixer Small appliance Core drill Tool accessory Machine
Metal
Metal Brass Auto part Ammunition Pipe

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
There were and are some firearms that have unsupported chambers and they cause a belly to form in the brass near the base. Old Gen1 Glocks were notorious for that a while back. The newer generation stuff is just fine with a much better supported chamber.
There was actually a term for it.."glocked up brass"
It caused a weak spot in the brass and it had the common potential of blowouts with reloads.

Those belly busters or bulge busters were handy to reform the grossly deformed brass. but honestly, I don't see much messed up brass anymore. I think I used mine maybe a dozen times, but basically got the same shoot-able results with my regular dies.. and now to be honest, if i find really jacked up brass, I don't even waste my time with it. but it never hurts to have another tool in the arsenal for reloading!

That's just one example that jumped into my head. and a lot of race guns will have unsupported chambers to really help consistent and "never fail" cycling... but they can be rough on brass. my STI.. they get about 6-8 reloads before the brass gets trashed.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Just blew the dust off a big batch of 9mms I was cleaning for a friend and found one 9 nested into a .40S&W case.

That .40 was "glopped" and will NEVER be reloaded, at least not at my loading bench. I have several 40s so I am concerned with these damaged cases.

I bought a couple thousand "once fired" 40s a few months back, and while sizing these cases, found a very few that were glopped. These cases are suitable only for scrap!!!!!!!!!!!

Brass that has had that amount of stress in a critical part of the case should be relegated to the scrap brass bucket.

If you have a barrel that causes this damage to fired cases, glop or not, buy a new barrel.

But as said earlier, the Original Poster has NO problem, at least with the brass shown.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.