Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a idea in my head for a river boat for floating rivers and fly fishing. Here in Mich we dont have white water like out west so I made it with alot less rocker than a traditional drift boat. Didnt have any plans per say, just kinda winged it. I took over 100 pics of the entire build but I`m gonna post just a few. Took 13 months of evenings and weekends, a few gal of epoxy and hundreds of stainless screws and bolts. I started with frames and made the transom with mahogany on the sides only to be foiled when I went to pick up the mahogany plywood for the sides and they were out with no plans to get more in. So I used some mahogany in the seat benches to match the transom. Used douglas fir for the frames, lots of white oak, a little walnut and mahogany and okume plywood. I also used some cherry a guy gave me to burn in the woodstove! The outside has fiberglass cloth on it. No stains, all natural wood coated with epoxy and varnish.

Started by buiulding 3 saw horses and a strongback box. I used batten strips to figure out my lengths and angles. Old school baby, no cad cam stuff here! Mostly just handtools, but later on I had to break down and get a power planer from harbor freight to mill the rough cut woods to usable wood. Cutting and belt sanding got to be too much work.
Workbench Table Furniture Wood Tool
Table Workbench Furniture Wood Sawhorse
Furniture Table Bench Wood Outdoor bench
Wood Table Plywood Hardwood Workbench
Wood Floor Hardwood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Table

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
A lot of talent, patience, knowledge, and time required to build something like that. And a healthy does of motivation of, I'm "doing it myself" in those pictures! Looks pretty well on it's way to becoming a "dream come true". I like it! Was boat building a family tradition? It looks like you have a natural talent for it. Looks big too. What is the length, 18'?

I'm impressed! Well done!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
A lot of talent, patience, knowledge, and time required to build something like that. And a healthy does of motivation of, I'm "doing it myself" in those pictures! Looks pretty well on it's way to becoming a "dream come true". I like it! Was boat building a family tradition? It looks like you have a natural talent for it. Looks big too. What is the length, 18'?

I'm impressed! Well done!
My dad built a cabin cruiser just before WWII, way before me, I never got to see the real boat, just a couple pics. He was just a real handy kind of guy that never had any money but would do everything himself and thats how I grew up the same way. When I was a kid I had a couple wood boats he helped me fix up. I did alot of carpentry growing up. Mostly trim stuff, cabinets and counters ect. I was gonna build a small, light (13ft) inexpensive and fast project boat.....but then my OCD kicked in, I found a place to get nice woods and ran amuck. The boat is around 15 ft., cost a small fortune in materials, it weighs 340lbs, and the trailer weighed out at exactly 340 lbs too.

I think I spent about as much time trying to plan as I went and figure out how to do things and make stuff work as I did actually building. I tried to think out every little thing, like the angle of the transom so I could put a small 4hp motor on it someday. Took a couple tries to get the oarlock blocks the right height for rowing. I put sand blasting sand in the varnish on the floor boards, worked great for non slip. Had to thin out the 8 1/2ft oars and rewrap the paracord after the first try. There were a few setbacks along the way. The benches turned out kinda heavy cause I used all the solid wood and wanted storage compartments in them. All in all, its pretty comfy for 2 people fishing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice work. A great photo journal too. :congrats:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice work. A great photo journal too. :congrats:
Thanks, was hard to pick out just a few pics of the build out of a ton of pics. I actually did a build thread on a wood boat forum, with details of each and everything I did as I went, it was about 80+ pages and over 100 pics. This past winter I tore something in my right arm, and I cant row the boat this year. I got it done in the spring of 2016.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.