Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs. Kendawg and I scratch built this chicken coop from September to October of this year. We’ve been wanting to keep chickens for awhile and finally committed to doing it. We bought the plans online which turned out to have many errors in them so we just used them as a guide and made it our own, expanding the overall length, roof pitch and New England-ized it. We took over an existing flock of 9 birds and had eggs the first day the chickens were on the job. They seem to like their new coop.

E9BA16ED-4E96-45D8-857D-D1A40EA6F1AD.jpeg C93F5570-F985-4D5B-AFC7-84CD35BB0323.jpeg 1267EC46-7C05-4FFE-A6DC-75E7348BFFCF.jpeg A5BF15CD-D7FF-474B-981A-9AEB5AAAAF52.jpeg 50A9B23F-6786-41CC-A76B-0E52176A3392.jpeg

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
:top: Chicks dig the long barn.....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of those pictures are for our friends in the Southern Hemisphere! Lol.
Not sure why those load upside down.

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
Nice job OP. Curious what it cost to build? The guy that lived in my house before me kept chickens. I keep threatening to get some but the wife won't have it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice job OP. Curious what it cost to build? The guy that lived in my house before me kept chickens. I keep threatening to get some but the wife won't have it.
Cost was in the neighborhood of $1800. My wife wasn’t big on getting them either, now she has really taken to them.

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
Very nice ! :congrats:

Reactions: moofy07 and Kendawg

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks nicer than my house.
Don't be surprised if you find me sleeping in there some morning!

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ha ha Vooch, there’s a reason we made it tight! I’ve had a couple friends say the same thing!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Ken - very impressive! Looks like good "night security" for your birds which is very important. If vermin can get inside you WILL find dead chickens in the morning. :s:
I hear ya on that. Have had a few friends that have woke up to headless birds in the morning. Going to set my game camera up near by to see if anything is creeping around in the night.

Reactions: moofy07 and Vooch

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
That is a nice coop. The floors look like OSB, are they? I would put some kind of sealer or laminant on those, lots of poop to clean up with chickens. Don't know how well OSB will hold up.

Do you build houses for a living? Very nice detailed work.
V

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is a nice coop. The floors look like OSB, are they? I would put some kind of sealer or laminant on those, lots of poop to clean up with chickens. Don't know how well OSB will hold up.

Do you build houses for a living? Very nice detailed work.
V
Hi Vince,
The plywood floor is CDX and was primed, painted and then a piece of vinal flooring on top. Not in the pictures but we throw wood shavings and straw in there too. Clean it every day.
I’m not a house builder, more of a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Lol.
Thanks for looking and your comments.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
That is nice work! And I agree, you've got some nice looking soil up there. If I dig down past my 3"-4" of topsoil, I hit red clay dirt. Wish I had that backhoe attachment on my JD! What size is your tractor? I've got a 4200, with a 420 bucket rig out front, hydraulics to the rear, but no backhoe.

Probably best that I don't have one now that I think about it. I'd be digging in the yard constantly, and it would never grow grass. :flute:I use the front bucket every chance I get now. Often just create things that "need to be done" so I can play with it. :biggrin: You are a talented builder. Might be the nicest chicken house I've ever seen!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts