Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've outgrown and been crowded out of my utility room reloading area. Because of that, my reloading hobby has suffered neglect and so has my shooting hobby.

I've just started construction on a new shop just for reloading and gun related activities.

Gonna have a bullet casting station, separate pistol and rifle loading stations, and I may even set up a shotshell station. Have loaded shotshells before, but I'm not a big volume shotshell shooter so my shotshell loading is small in comparison to the others. I'm excited about having my own space totally dedicated to my sport.

Gonna install a hooded exaust vent to use when the casting operation is underway and airconditioning for the summer months. Also plan to have a covered and closed in deer processing area on the end. Heck, I may even move in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Does anyone else have a dedicated reloading shop underconstruction? I enjoy building things but I am more excited about getting it in operation,,,,can hardly wait to try it out,,,,,,,

·
Registered
355 Posts
I built a nice one last year, then had to let it go during a seperation/divorce.

I actually have one on the way right now, and it should be here by the end of the month. I had a building built, and I'll finish the inside complete with carpeted floor, cabinets, and a very nice reloading bench.

I'm like you. I'm all to pieces waiting to enjoy my new "dog house" LOL!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great place to lay up,,,,,,,,,i might loose mine too,,,,been married 22 years but the storm has been brewing for a while,,,,but if i do loose it, i'm sure i'll have another someday soon,,,,,,,,mine is gonna be a small one that i can build quickly and inexpensively, but i plan to lay it out nicely. I'm building mine on skids so that it could be moved if needed. much like those buildings u can buy and have delivered to your land except that it will have a real door and windows installed.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Give some thought to security. You are gonna have some valuable and dangerous stuff in there and don't want it easy to break into. My shop is shed roofed with the higher wall facing south. There are no windows in the lower eight feet. All my windows are in the top three feet of the higher wall.

You want it way overwired, too. You need a lot more light than normal and a lot more outlets. One circuit run from the house just does not hack it.

Having your own shop does make marriage a bit more endurable. You have a place to hide and you are not messing up her house with your nasty junk. (To the female mind, it is solely HER house. You have no say in it.)

Depending on your circumstances, it might be wiser to get the divorce first and the shop later.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
One item of interest I'll share with you as I have went this route also. When it came to setting up the press station, I had limited my room to a 12X12 and needed three reloading stations. I installed a splined rear end carrier in the concrete and faced off three axles and mounted my presses on them a simple lifting and replacing and quick change press stations. This also had a side benifit as you could change the angle of the press to suit you. One other is to plan shelves all the way around near the ceiling for them odds and ends all of us reloaders seem to pack rat away.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I'm with Swany on the shelves, you can't have too many. I just re-arranged my loading room last week, took all day but it's a lot better than it was. I'm adding more shelves pretty soon, and a fan to keep the dust down when I sift brass from the tumbler. Good lighting is also key, and while I don't have heavy electrical needs, too many outlets are always good, better to have and not need than vice versa!

And calling it The Dog House is a lot Smarter than calling it The Man Cave, even if that's what it is! :wink:

Papajohn

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am in the wiring phase of the new house I am building right now. I have a dedicated 10' x 20' corner of the basement that is known by all as the future "gun room". I also plan on casting bullets and was just thinking the other day about how I could rig up an exhaust hood.

Any ideas on a simple inexpensive setup?

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
355 Posts
My little building is supposed to be here in the morning!

I bought a nice little 10'x10' wooden building. It's being built by an Ammish fellow over in the next county. He does a very nice job. Everything is nice, and air tight, steel roof, and he even puts real overlapped board siding over the plywood walls. I had him install a good steel door, and one high window. The whole works delivered was less than $1300, and it's framed like a house instead of the cheap out buildings that you usually pay a lot more for, so it'll be very easy to finish the inside like I want.

10'x10' is just a tad small, but it'll be plenty once I get my shelves, and cabinets built. I'll only have one bench 8' long, and about 26" wide, so that'll leave room for plenty of storage. My last one was 12'x12', and it was more than enough room. Besides, it's easier to keep a smaller building heated/cooled.

Now I'll be insulating, and finishing a little at a time till I get it done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed this indoor casting bench in the den of the house.

I can cast, use solvents, and not bother my wife anytime, because all the fumes are sucked up a standard kitchen vent hood, bout $60. All you got to do is crack open a window.

Nice thing also is it puts a light right where you need it...

I didn't want to go through the roof so the vent pipe makes a 90 dgr bend out through the wall and under the side roof eave. Since this created more drag on the airflow, I installed an inline duct booster fan from Graingers- bout $40, and when I cast, I run both fans. The vent hood is hung by some dog chain form the ceiling.

When not in use, I use the hood grease screen with cardboard in the frame as a cap to keep the cold from comin' in.

Works great!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on the exhaust fan/hood,,,,,,,

I am using a fast turning squirrel cage fan attatched to a 6 inche stove pipe that funnels from a 20"x24" hood that was salvaged from an old delapidated mobile home. It works well at keeping the smoke pulled out.

·
Registered
702 Posts
hey .35 MARLIN sound's like it's goning to be nice ..

i sent you an email with some pictures of my litle reloading room
It's not a whole shop unto its self but it's not to shabby

·
Registered
325 Posts
Funny I see this topic again. I was at Lowe's yesterday and happened into one of the sheds they had for sale. Not one of the crappy little ones either. this one was prety large 10'x10' or so. Ha to sky lights yp top and a couple of opposed double payned windows. I t needed a steel set of doors I thought and I hadn't quite figured out a way to secure the windows when not in use, but maybe a set of security blinds would work. Also thought about it as a potential place for the safe to go too although that may be pushing it.Mostly this is a mental exercise because I don't hacve the room or the money for one right now, but it ws a well done structure that needed a few additions and finishing to be a cozy man room for gunsmithing and reloading type activities.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
So there are others as crazy as me...

I recently moved out on a ranch. A lot of stuff going on. I'm building a 50 X 55 barn that will have a 15 X 25 reloading room/bunkhouse. I'm also building a 300-yard shooting range behind it, got the berms done on that. 25, 50, 100, 200, 250 and 300-yards. At the firing line I have a portable building for storing range stuff plus it will serve as my casting room with 200 AMP service. It has a 42" door on one side and a single car garage door on the other. That garage door will be pointed downrange so I can shoot from the building if I want. It will be airconditioned and heated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just a suggestion for your exhaust system, look into the remote exhaust fan which will allow you to place multiple collection ports (or whatever they are called) over the space with little noise and you can run it when ever you do stinky things: spray painting, smoking cigars etc. all controlled by a single switch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts