Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Douglas barrel and a good 1894C.Have a reamer,form dies and loading dies.
Is there any hiccups I have to watch out for?
TIA

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
256 conversion

If the model 62 can handle the round, I would say receiver strength won't be a problem. You might have to experiment with OAL and the lifter geometry a little, but not to a great extent. I would say the main consideration would be using bullets with a cannelure or another means of getting a substantial crimp, since the model 62 feeds from a vertical magazine instead of a tube. Universal made a few of their M1 Carbine clones in 256, and it also fed from a vertical mag.

Sounds like a very worthwhile project to me! :D SW

·
Registered
455 Posts
.256 Win. Mag. - or .22 Rem. JET !

If I remember right the .256 and the .22 Rem. JET, came out around the same time ( 60's - ? ) and were answers to those who wanted more power than the .22 Hornet .

Handgun varmit hunting was a relatively new fad at that time , and was pretty popular .

The 1894 C action might lend itself better to the .22 JET , which is based on .357 Brass , and so might cause less potential dimensional feeding problems than the .256 ?? - (unless the .256 is based on the .357 as well ? -- I don't know ) ??

Anyway , I used to have S&W's .22 Jet revolver in 8 3/8 "
-- and the cases would back out and stick in the chambers -- a real mess . --- So I sent it back to S&W with massive grouchy complaints , and had their Factory shop chop it to 4" , and change the cylinder to .22 LR .

Before that , however , I bought an H&R Topper companion rifle ( break open single shot ) , - also in .22 Jet . -- It cost about $ 28 bucks . --- It is ( out of the box ) , -- the most accurate rifle I've ever owned . -- I put a big 3x-9x scope on the little gun , and it GROUPED . -- One ragged hole at 50 Yds .

Further , a Gunshop owner , opined recently , ( while I was telling him of feeding problems with my new M1894 FG ) , --- that possibly 1894's were engineered ,originally , to feed tapered cartridges like the .44-40 -- and perhaps they tend to have less feeding problems with same ??

So it is possible that inherently , a tapered case might tend to ELIMINATE feeding problems ?? --- On the other hand , the .22 Jet has such a screw-ball taper it might be worse ??

If it were me , I'd try to contact one of the World-class Gunsmiths that specialize in Marlins , and ask which rebarreling / rechambering , would be the more reliable feeder / extractor .
Nothing beats somebody that has had the experience .

I really like the .22 Jet though . -- You can get quite a bit more Vel. than .22 Hornet , with the right powders .

Good luck with your custom ,

Nose To The Trail , ------------ MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
455 Posts
P.S. -- .256 in M1894C - again

P.S. -- EASY ROLLINS --- Just read up on .256 -- it's TWICE AS POWERFUL as .22 JET !

I've got a 5 or 6 die reducer die-set to bring .357 brass down to .22 JET -- don't know what you're in for with .256 ?

What do you use for basic .256 brass ?

If you want a S&W companion handgun , eventually , --- .22 JET's may still be found used . And if you want to lubricate the cylinders with dry graphite instead of gunoil , they can function OK . ( They used to back out and stick so that the cylinders would not rotate ) ; --- but it might be an expensive proposition to modify a revolver for .256 .

Just thinking out loud .

------------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
An interesting wildcat of the early 60s was the 22 Super jet. Basically a 256 necked down to 22 cal, or a 22 jet blown out. The 221 concept proved more marketable, though. The 22 super jet, jet & 256 would also have applications in a Martini action, but that would be a bit off-topic. SW

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Opps,that's me above. :roll:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, 256 Winchester Mag is a necked down .357 Magnum. I have read that it is a pretty simple operation to neck down the cases. I have heard that Winchester still makes a once a year run on this brass though and I have seen brass for sale on Ebay. Hornady makes a neat little 60 gr. soft point that works great in this caliber. Though it doesn't have a cannelure you can have Lee make you a crimp die that works without a cannelure for about 35-40 bucks I believe. Build it! Sounds a like a fun little gun!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Re: Building a 1894C into a .256Win Mag.....Any problems lik

Easy Rollins said:
I've got a Douglas barrel and a good 1894C.Have a reamer,form dies and loading dies.
TIA
Easy,
I have one of the 62's and love the round. A modern day 25-20,,, another fun cartridge. I'm guessing here that with there should be no issues with feeding, the smaller bullet bullet diameter should find its way into the chamber without drama.
Great project! When all is said and done, lemme know if you want to part with the reamer. The other cartridge I'd like to do is the 30-357 Paxton, again a 32-20 style cartridge with a stronger case and more capacity. I keep hunting the racks around here for second hand 1894's,,,,,,, lotsa' 336's, but folk don't ever seem to part with 94's.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
74 Posts

Easy Rollins said:
TIA
Hit send key in middle of original post. see following post.

Lee L.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Easy Rollins said:
TIA
I purchased a 25-20 barrel for an 1894 Marlin grom Gun Parts Corp. and just recut the chamber to .256 Mag. and installed it on a 1894C everything functioned perfectly with no other alterations other than Magazine tube adjustments for length.

Lee L.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts