Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings;

Attempting to lessen the Main Spring tension, I gradually ground the Main Spring Adt. Screw shorter until I thought that was not the answer for this Gorilla spring. My mentor showed me how to gently thin the spring along its length. We stopped at about .015" removal, maintaining its tapered thickness. It started failing to ignite 1/10 of the shells. Time to install the adj. screw.

I returned home [RV in Fl] & proceeded to re-install my shortened screw to add some tension. The leading threads were troublesome to get started, as I failed to properly taper them for re-insertion. I think I buggered the female thread in the Carrier.

What is the thread spec for one to obtain a tap for chasing/cleaning? Thanks so much for considering my plight. I'm Cowboy Action Shooting on vacation & need my thunder stick back in action!

Wally

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
There are tools that will measure the screw diameter and the turns per inch of the threads. A machine shop and/or gunsmith should have them in their shops.

Hip

·
Administrator
23,804 Posts
So should your local hardware far as thread pitch is concerned. TPI or turns per inch. The gunsmith might have all you would need. Just don't try to force it or fix it. Take it to a gunsmith.

Alternative is to drill and tap to the next size thread whether that be metric or inch. Lot of the smaller sizes have NF or national fine threads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts