Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this was posted before, but I can't find any threads about it.

I just ran across an on-line copy of the 2012 Marlin catalog (Marlin 2012 Consumer Catalog) and noticed in the back they list a new(?) 1800's style, single shot rifle in .45-70 called the Buffalo Classic Rifle. Has anyone heard any news about this? Any idea of the MSRP? I've always been interested in the old Sharps and Rolling Block style big bore single shots, but the price (often well over $1000) generally put me off so if this is a bit cheaper, it might be able to scratch that big-bore itch. :biggrin:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
It's not really new, it's made by H&R, once owned by Marlin. Now, they are more like sister companies. I have a Buffalo Classic and frequently use it for informal target shooting. They aren't light, probably due to the 32" barrel and they can kick pretty good with that steel buttplate, but it's tolerable with a Past pad strapped on.

Reactions: mdauben

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I would love to own one...classic. If you don't mind, I've never looked, I'll re-ask... what's their price range?

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Actually mdauben, I have all 3 models. The .45-70 with a 32" bbl; the .38-55 with a 28" bbl and the .45 colt with a 20" bbl. Ijust put on my Cowboy hat and I play Mr. Cody and the buffalo (only with targets). The sight radius on the 2 big 'uns is great. :biggrin:

Attachments

Reactions: mdauben

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Dem's purdy...I must say, for the first time in any of my posts...I'm .....gulp....a bit jealous. BUT STILL...price range? please?...?...?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I think I bought mine for 280 bucks about 5 years ago. I believe I've seen one locally for the 400 range. I've got a custom stock with thick recoil pad. I also placed a copper pipe full of lead in the butt stock for extra weight. To top it off I replaced the simple Williams peep with a nicer Williams that had more adjustment available. We use it for long distance steel plinking and its very accurate with our loads. Good luck and I highly recommend it! Wish I'd gotten the 38-55 while available as well.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I think I bought mine for 280 bucks about 5 years ago. I believe I've seen one locally for the 400 range. I've got a custom stock with thick recoil pad. I also placed a copper pipe full of lead in the butt stock for extra weight. To top it off I replaced the simple Williams peep with a nicer Williams that had more adjustment available. We use it for long distance steel plinking and its very accurate with our loads. Good luck and I highly recommend it! Wish I'd gotten the 38-55 while available as well.
Thank you...very obtainable. What I expected, just needed confirmation.

And I will second the 38-55.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Rocker,

The .45-70 and the .45 Colt are easily obtainable used or even new. The .38-55 will require a bit of hunting and will be a bit more money, not a killer amount but more.

·
Registered
880 Posts
There is a one of the shortys in 45LC at a local gunshop for $189.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I MAY SEARCH for the 38-55 , but I think, for me anyway guys...a good point can be made for getting the 45-70...I want to mess arround with some LONG RANGE shooting with it...I own a 45-70 already, so ammo is here and available....I don't think the .45 Colt would fit the bill, at least for the purposes I'm looking at?? It would be cheaper to shoot...but range...I don't know about that, it would fall short..litterally??

That darn 38-55 is just so appealing though....TORN.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I owned a Classic for a while that had been altered with a pad put on it & it was fun to shoot. I had never seen the 38-55 & since its on my 2012 bucket list, I will see what I can do to track one down. BTW, I sold the Classic to friend to buy an Old Winny 30 WCF.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Yes, I bought the .38-55 about 4 years ago. The Marlins were getting scarce even then especially .38-55 and the cowboys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I bought mine for 280 bucks about 5 years ago. I believe I've seen one locally for the 400 range.
That's definitely more affordable that a $2000+ Shiloh Sharps. Certainly its not going to be in the same ball park, as far as quality is concerned but I think it should serve well as a fun gun for some range shooting while pretending I'm Billy Dixon. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my Buffalo Classic for 4 years now and still love to shoot it. Recoil is mild with Remington factory 405 grn loads. Recoil is similar to a 20 gauge shotgun. I paid $389 for it at Sportsman's Warehouse. Accuracy is excellent. I shot it on paper for the first time yesterday. My 16 year old son and I both consistantly shot 3" groups @ 100 yards with the Williams peep sight. I own 57 guns and this one is the most fun to shoot and gets the most attention at the range! Now it's time to work up some handloads for it. Somebody gave me a Lee Loader for it. I'll get some regular dies later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts