Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Buffalo Bore 220 FN 35Rem round and ran it thru the Norma Ballistics Page the results were as follows:

MV = 2200
ME = 2364
Traj -1.5"

50yds VE 2074
ER 2101
TJ +2.1"

100yds VE 1949
ER 1857
TJ +3.8"

200yds VE 1723
ER 1448
TJ 0"

300yds VE 1522
ER 1131
TJ -15.4

thats a pretty fantastic 35Rem round, gives you a 0 to 250 yds straight shot at an elk. Price didn't look to bad either. If Norma nows how to calculate rounds and energy. I think I will forget about converting my 35rem into something else.

fknipfer

·
Registered
28 Posts
fknipfer:
I handload my .35 to match the Buffalo Bore load with H4895, and hunt moose with it. I have experienced no pressure signs or problems, and the Speer 220 Hot-Core is providing me with the best accuracy of all bullets I've tried in my rifle (longer bearing length). I do recommend that those shooting these heavier loads put their rifles through a load building procedure to bring out any individual rifle weakness that may be present.

Yup, I see no reason to rechamber to .358, .356 or .307 when the old standard .35 Rem. has this much potential, and you can be sure that Buffalo Bore did their homework before putting it on the market.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brush Buster:
I think that will be my first handload I will try. Have to get me some brass and Speer 220gr bullets. Whose case and how much H4895 are you using. I'm going to order some buffalo bores and take one apart and measure the powder to be sure. I am going to shoot some new Hornady lever action thru the gun first but after that I will reload to the 220gr.

fknipfer

·
Registered
28 Posts
fknipfer:

Winchester brass is all that's available to me up north. You will not likely be able to duplicate the Buffalo Bore load by measuring the powder charge because it is of their own formulation, and not available to the public. However H4895 will get you there and do so with a slow pressure rise; this is what you want when taking the .35 into its upper range. Other medium burn-rate powders will work, but H4895 is very stable and predictable.

I like lightly compressed loads, and that's what you'll find is required. I would also mention that primer choice becomes important at the higher pressure levels, and if you build up with a specific primer....stay with it!

I don't quote powder charges because every rifle is different and you've got to find your rifle's specific recipe. Above all, use a chronograph, keep good notes, and accept the Buffalo Bore load as maximum. Do that, and your ready for bigger game. I'm convinced the Speer 220 is the best choice for elk-moose, but it does require sufficient velocity to open it up. I'm hoping to provide confirmation on all this next fall.

Finally, make sure you read and absorb all 35remington's notes on loads and bullets for the .35 on this forum. My findings so far only seem to confirm his.
BrushBuster :D

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Unless you know which powder the BB is loaded with knowing how much is there is a mute point. My problem with the BB is the price. What is it about $50.00 per box? A guy sure cant afford to shoot much at that price. If I need that I figure I can shoot an 06, 300 Win mag, 325 WSM ect. It is a heck of a lot more rifle at 1/2 the cost. I reload anyway so the cost of factory ammo doesnt mean a thing. My 35 Rem loads will kill anything I'm going to use it on and probably for about $4.00 per box. In reality, anything you shoot with a 35 Rem will never know the difference if that bullet was going 2200 FPS or 1950 FPS it will be just as dead.

G

·
hmmm...no intention to start any rumors...but I was at the Wheeling, WV Cabela's and noticed there were only four or five boxes of Buffalo Bore Ammo on the shelves...all pistol stuff. Previously there was lots and lots (last two years at least) Whutzup?? Is Tim still makin' the stuff? any other folks notice the lack or presence of BB ammo where ya buy locally??
I know the Winchester Supreme Nosler Gold Partition for the 45-70 is GONE from shelves....saw last two boxes locally.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ordered a box of shells from them last night (357Magnum) and they accepted the order and sent me an acknowledgement so I guess they are still around.

fknipfer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts