Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy's wife hates guns so he gave me this sweet Lever Safety 22 (1897). I dig the flip up sites. I also picked up this early (1939 or 40) Model 90 in 20ga. Pretty good month on Marlins. I posted this in the shotgun forum as well.

T4

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
:congrats:"SWEEEEEEET"

Reactions: Pereira

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
What a swell rifle! I'm really liking that!

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the serial number and it appears the rifle was made in 1897. First year gun with Lyman flip up front and rear sites. I think it's pretty dang cool.

T4

·
Registered
278 Posts
SUPER NICE !!
Congrats :congrats:

·
Registered
21,080 Posts
Don't y'a just love friends with wives like that! Personally, I'd be givin' the wife away!:biggrin:

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
I checked the serial number and it appears the rifle was made in 1897. First year gun with Lyman flip up front and rear sites. I think it's pretty dang cool.

T4
Yeah, what you said. Pretty darn Cool!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a great guy
Yes he is. He initially took the rifle to our LGS and they told him it was only worth $100. He told them to shove it and dropped.it off at my place. It's not perfect but heck it's 115 years old. Actually it's pretty nice.

T4

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Do be aware that those early rimfires are designed for blackpowder ammo. Should be fired only with standard velocity ammo, no Mini-Mags, no high velocity bulk pack, no Stingers or hyper-velocity rounds. Extensive use with high pressure rounds WILL crack the bolt and there are NO spares out there except from junk guns.

Looks to be in pretty good shape, the finish looks very good for an over 100-year old rifle, makes me wonder if it's been refinished. If it's as-issued, I've seen those at collectors' shows for around $5K, quite a gift.

Stan S.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do be aware that those early rimfires are designed for blackpowder ammo. Should be fired only with standard velocity ammo, no Mini-Mags, no high velocity bulk pack, no Stingers or hyper-velocity rounds. Extensive use with high pressure rounds WILL crack the bolt and there are NO spares out there except from junk guns.

Looks to be in pretty good shape, the finish looks very good for an over 100-year old rifle, makes me wonder if it's been refinished. If it's as-issued, I've seen those at collectors' shows for around $5K, quite a gift.

Stan S.
Stan I do not believe this 1987 is worth anything near $5K but I did see one at Cabelas today for $800 and mine is much nicer. Cabelas always marks their stuff a little high in my opinion. Here are a few more pics of the old girl. I don't think the wood has been redone.

Reactions: erimort

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Sweet buddy you got there!! Better buy him a bottle of his favorite booze at least...and it might help him drown the sorrow of losing that one!!!
Congrats!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the kind words... I haven't shot either but plan on shooting some clays this weekend with the old O/U.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.