Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there really is any difference between Nikon's Prostaff scopes and the now-discontinued mid-range Buckmasters line? I took advantage of Louisiana's hunting and fishing sales tax holiday weekend to buy a 3-9 x 40 Buckmasters scope my LGS had on clearance. I don't have it mounted on a rifle yet, but just looking at it, the scope seems to be made really well. The view through it seems clear and bright. I guess I would expect those things from Nikon (or Leupold, or Redfield, or Weaver, or Burris...).

I'm guessing the Buckmasters line must not have been selling well, or Nikon would not have dropped it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have owned scopes from both of the Nikon lines. I personally found the Buckmaster line (formerly the Omega line), had more generous eye relief. The ProStaff scopes seemed to have less forgiving eye relief as you cranked up the magnification.

For me, I found the Prostaff scopes worked nicely on my 22lr rifles. A decent quality scope, not over the top in cost and where it did not matter as much losing eye relief as you cranked up the magnification.

I really liked the 3-9x40 Buckmaster (formerly Omega) with BDC reticle. These scopes had very clear optics and came with a very generous 5" eye relief. I placed them on all mine and my children's muzzle loader rifles. They have proven an awesome choice.

I was unaware the Buckmaster line was discontinued, unfortunate. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's just not much on the inter-webs about this. Maybe that's why Nikon stopped making them- not enough difference between Prostaffs and Buckmasters. The high end Monarchs are a lot higher priced.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There's just not much on the inter-webs about this. Maybe that's why Nikon stopped making them- not enough difference between Prostaffs and Buckmasters. The high end Monarchs are a lot higher priced.
There is a difference.

In a competitive market like scopes, buyers buy the new hot thing. Changing the name alone is enough to make a buyer seem like the product is fresh and at its best itteration.

The Buckmaster has been replaced with the Coyote Special, which has again been renamed recently to the Active Target Special.

They are the same glass. The buckmaster does have better glass and coating that the prostaff. But I must say I have a hard time telling the difference since my vision is top notch. Once your vision declines then the glass starts to nake a difference. Well according to all the older guys I hunt with anyways. They see a difference during darker hours. I couldnt see a difference until the magnification was increased. The prostaff in low light did fantastic until x4.5, while the coyote special went until about x7 before showing degradation for my eyes. Both are 3-9x40. I will post pictures when I get a chance.

The coyote special is a scope I highly recommend if your target tends to be on the move. It takes getting used to but once you are comfortable with the doughnut reticle you can shoot great groupings.

The coyote special (new version of buckmaster) is imo the best bang/buck predator scope on the market. Perfect balance of performance and fits right on low leupold mounts for marlin 336.

A feature I like about the "predator bdc" or doughnut reticle is that the center circle is 3MOA, which is pretty close to what the average 30-30 shoots. The reticle can do ok on accuracy, but is best for quick point and squeeze.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
Pro staff is their economy line. Buckmaster and Monarch are a step up.I have all 3. I have the prostaff scopes on my 22s.On my ARs and Bolt action rifles I have Buckmaster and Monarchs.I like them all.But Leupold is still a step up from those.Better eye relief and quicker target acquisition .Still,can't go wrong with any Nikon scope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts