Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 1878 140 th anniversary 30-30 sharp's today. It has decent wood but not as good as I was hoping for. I had no choice but except it because of the no return policy. Also I could only find two available. And both companies had a no return policy.All in all a mighty fine rifle with excellent fit and finish was great.
thumbnail 1.jpg thumbnail 2.jpg thumbnail 3.jpg I like the front sight because it flips up for a globe sight and down for a blade sight. They also sent some insert to change the front globe sight. I haven't figured that out yet. If anyone knows how that works let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Gabby1956 -
Good looking rifle there!
Item for caution - be sure the hammer is in the half-cock or safety position BEFORE opening the breech, otherwise you may shear the tip of the firing pin. I know this can be an issue with the 1874 "Old Reliable" Sharps (an acquaintance didn't believe it - he does now!), not sure if it applies to the 1878, but better safe than sorry. Just say'in.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Gabby1950,
I certainly could be wrong, but I'm thinking that is a 1877 (small side hammer) opposed to the '78 Borchardt (no hammer, striker type)??
I have an original '78 Borchardt, JP Lower model that a friend gave me (checkered pistol grip & trigger- likely in the last 100 that went out the door before Sharps closed down).
What Skyhunter says is right regarding the firing pin on the '74s.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
That's beautiful. Really pretty rifle.

Wood wise - that clear straight grain walnut may look kinda boring but it's correct for the rifle and it's also the most durable choice. Wavy grain stuff is beautiful but it's also a lot less durable in what was originally a military application.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
boy oh boy that looks like fun. I have been shooting my remlin 30-30 out to 300 yds lately, loads of fun

Reactions: Gabby1956

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
That’s a Dandy lookin rifle!

Reactions: Gabby1956

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pathfinder65 you are correct. This is a 1877 reproduction but is called the 1887 model because of the Lyman sight. I know its confusing but its part of Lyman's commemoration of its tang sight.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
East bank, nice shooting.I will be hunting my rifle as well. I was laying in bed this morning thinking of a way to sling it. I still hunt in ladder stands, as well as ground blinds. I usually carry my rifles into the woods in rifle cases that have shoulder slings. After I reach the seat, i"ll set a removable screw hanger behind me and hang my backpack and gun case.Not wanting to hold the rifle in my lap all day I bought one of those screw in accessory holder that I set above me and too my right. With a gun sling I can hang my rifle there and other goodies. I was thinking about ways to sling this rifles and your rifle sling set up confirmed my theory. I'm going to get a Brass Stacker buttcuff and attach to the barrel with one of those Uncle Mikes swivel clamps. I am a little concerned about them only encircling the barrel 3/4's of the way but that system has been used for a long time.So I'll just put my fears away and hunt comfortably. I'd probably scratch my rifle more trying too hold it in my lap all day than chance of the swivel breaking and dropping the gun. I can also use the same sling on my new Henry 357. Thanks for sharing the pics, they just confirmed to me that it will work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts