Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the first deer I have shot at with this lever action rifle. I was in a tree blind in Michigan last Sunday evening, in the woods. 5-pt. buck was 80-90 yards away, body facing straight at me. I aimed dead center on its chest, and it dropped and never even kicked. Bullet went through about 6 inches of neck meat before getting into chest. Hole through neck meat was about 1.5 inches in diameter. It went through top of heart, with a finger sized hole, I think it ended up in the guts, but I never found it. I was using a Hornaday 240 grn. XTP mag with a max. load of Lilgun. I get about 1980 fps out of my 20 inch barrel. The load is on the Hogdon web site. Mostly I shoot hardcast low velosity loads from this gun, but I was quite impressed with the knock-down power of this old pistol round.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have been thinking about shooting a deer with my 45LC. Sounds like it works just fine. :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats on the take.

I used to use those 240gr XTP's in my derringers(yes, derringers) before the guns got stolen. I was quite happy with their performance. Dispatched a couple wild dog that came too close in a hurry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts