Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here about a month ago i went home and did a fair bit of fishing with my friend i grew up with, and we ended up filetting a bunch of fish(250-300lbs). We had two knives, my cold steel with a 10-11' blade and my dads old Buck filet knife.
We both switched off and a couple of times and both of us agreaded that the buck was a better knife, my friend looked it up and did some reasurch on the knife and found out that its origionaly from the 70's and made in the usa, but buck moved it out of the country sometime shortly after and changed it. Well long story short, he ended up buying one from a knife collector on ebay and i just won an acution last night on one.

Its a Buck filet knife and the blade is stamped 123, it has a brown handle that is fitted for your hand. Its a very good knife if anyone is looking for one. and Ill get some pics up when it gets to me.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it came in the mail yesterday, it was in good shape and took a little bit of an edge with just hitting the steel. Im going to work on it here in a minute and get the edge worked up to a razor.

just the knife and sheath the buck has a 6" blade.

and just for a compairson, i shot it next to my cold steel wihta 9" blade, I went out fishing today hoping to break it in but nothing landed.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Calcoastie thanks for the pics, those are both very nice knives. My favorite filet knife has always been the Rapala brand. I'm not sure about current production but the old ones were scandanavian in origin and made with excellent steel. I used one for years to butcher game with and it held an edge extremely well.

Jesse

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, on the current knives made i wont get a buck with their 440 stanless(im dont know the steel on this on but i dont think its 440), growing up i had a lock back 110?? and it had that 440 steel, i spent hours on it and never got a great edge, i came close a few time and a couple days later it was dull.
I did get the fillet knife up to a razor edge and now i just need a few fish to work on, and not just shaving my arm. thanks for the interest and i would reccomend picking one up if you run arcoss one just remember.
brown fitted ruber? handle
123 buck - stamped on the blade

that way you get the good USA made knife with good steel.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i finaly got a chance to get to try it out on some fish i caught(hmm wife caught, but i was baiting), and sure enough it works great. well a little to good and sliped right through the skin and caught my finger(not to deep though). again i would recomend it as much as i can for a fillet knife. but for big fish 30+lbs i would probably grab my cold steel for the job. take care and good fishing to whoever reads this(im out tomorrow morning).

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Calcoastie I'm glad to hear the knife panned out for you but sorry about the finger, that hurts....grin. Next time use a filet mitt eh? Let me know how the fishing turned out.

Jesse

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well thanks for the advice about the mitt, but.... I dont know if ill get one. just sliced up a layer of skin, didnt even bleed. Ahh but as to the fishing, not so good today, 3 skates(3-9lbs), a few sharks and lost a few blue fish. But we had fun. thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
83 Posts
CaliCoastie said:
thanks, on the current knives made i wont get a buck with their 440 stanless(im dont know the steel on this on but i dont think its 440), growing up i had a lock back 110?? and it had that 440 steel, i spent hours on it and never got a great edge, i came close a few time and a couple days later it was dull.
FYI, I believe prior to using 440, Buck used a 420HC steel. I know that in the 'cutlery fraternity' this steel is often looked down on, but the bucks I have made from that steel (a personal, a 110 folder and a nighthawk) take an very fine edge easily and hold it for a long time. I believe that Buck's tempering process on this steel was just right. Haven't tried a buck made from 440, so I can't comment on that...

·
Registered
83 Posts
MontanaMan said:
Calcoastie thanks for the pics, those are both very nice knives. My favorite filet knife has always been the Rapala brand. I'm not sure about current production but the old ones were scandanavian in origin and made with excellent steel. I used one for years to butcher game with and it held an edge extremely well.

Jesse
I have two of the old Rapalas you mention (the ones with the wood handles and leather sheath with the fish-tail on the end), and the steel IS excellent, but is rather difficult to sharpen (takes a while) and also, I've found on both of mine that over time they both developed a distinct curve to the right (perhaps because I'm sinistrous???) These days, I actually mostly use a Chicago cutlery fillet knife...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts