Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
Congrats on a nice rifle! It has all kinds of potential.

Reactions: MF72

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If the rust is only powder and zero pitting a reblue would look great, Mine had some minor pits, visible on the photos when zoomed. I knew a satin finish would show some flies (character). The wood was so nice I didn't what to Parkerize it. It will be around for anothe 55 years as it is.

If you go the Parkerizing route I've got a great source for it in Titusville, FL. They Parkerize to Mil-Spec. An example of their work is my 'Baby Swede' posted here: 25+ Year Quest Finally Finished - Baby Swede Arrives, 6...

AC
Thought about it, but going to start with oil and brass wool ,see what happens.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am not a collector so my perspective may be different. I would refinish the stock and have the metal cerakoted in matte black. The stock does not look that bad.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Frankly, I don’t think it looks all that bad. Sure there is some bubba gunsmithing present, but that’s the kind of stuff that adds character. I think you’re on the right path with the oil and brass wool. Some TLC mixed with a bit of elbow grease should clean it up to an acceptable level.
You said in a previous post that you have nothing in it. So my question would be, why put more into it than what is needed?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Here is my 1969 SRC. Fortunately, Bubba didn’t get to this one. ‘69 just happens to be my year of birth. Enjoy your project. Pics will be greatly appreciated,

Reactions: Shark Bait and MF72

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Frankly, I don’t think it looks all that bad. Sure there is some bubba gunsmithing present, but that’s the kind of stuff that adds character. I think you’re on the right path with the oil and brass wool. Some TLC mixed with a bit of elbow grease should clean it up to an acceptable level.
You said in a previous post that you have nothing in it. So my question would be, why put more into it than what is needed?
No reason at all not to spend a little on it, looks like front barrel band is inevitable. Rear one is optional,have a extra, except one with a sling swivel be way cooler. The bullseye is mandatory

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If you are up for a refinish job the holes can be plugged, or just find a replacement forearm, those are more abundant and cheaper to find.
No, I recondition guns as a hobby, metal and wood. My rifle was in a flood and semi reconditioned it. I personally don't like repairs that show ugly. There are uses for repaired stocked rifles. I just don't like them in my safe. I will probly spend a few hundred for the wood. I finally have my tanks and burners. Now to set up and get started.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No, I recondition guns as a hobby, metal and wood. My rifle was in a flood and semi reconditioned it. I personally don't like repairs that show ugly. There are uses for repaired stocked rifles. I just don't like them in my safe. I will probly spend a few hundred for the wood. I finally have my tanks and burners. Now to set up and get started.
Was a nice checkered stock and forearm on ebay yesterday 200.
I'm going to see if I can't make it turn out ok,if not I'll buy new as well but not after market or laminate

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
If you are patient and have the money you can find an exact match of the original stock set on Ebay, just depends on what time constraints you have for this project.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
If you are patient and have the money you can find an exact match of the original stock set on Ebay, just depends on what time constraints you have for this project.
No time constraints, just something cool to mess with and maybe learn something to

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
News flash, lol, a friend at work found a "T" 30-30. Pretty beat up. Has a crack in the fore stock and the bluing is awe-full. He asked my opinion I said no more than $300. He would hunt with it this year. The seller took his offer of 3 bills. I may have got some future work. LOL

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Earlier you mentioned tanks and a burner,hot bluing?
No, it is the same process Henry uses. It is a cold blue but the clean and rinse and rinse are hot. The look you get after depends upon the prep and polish.

Reactions: MF72

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
No, it is the same process Henry uses. It is a cold blue but the clean and rinse and rinse are hot. The look you get after depends upon the prep and polish.
I'll have to read up on that

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Man, I wouldn't change a thing. She's been around and has character. Wouldn't even mess with the sling mounts. If you are sling person, hook a single point AR sling to that saddle ring and enjoy. JMO.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Great find!, 55 years old and never restored. Shoot it and enjoy it. If you keep it another 55 years think of the stories you can tell about it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts