Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I guess the question is what do you intend to do with the rifle. Hunt, shoot or full restore? Evaluate the cost of each level. It should be what you want and are comfortable doing or paying to have done.

Hunt. Just fix it up so every thing works. Replace the Bullseye. Replace the forearm band with one with a stud. Do a nice patch on the forearm.

Shoot. Every thing for hunt plus remove the stud in the butt. Refinish the stocks. Keep the forearm band.

Full restore. You would need collectors opinion here. What would they pay for a reblued, restocked rifle? Would it be worth what say a 85%, 90% or 95% rifle sells for? Would a patched stock original to the rifle be worth more than a restocked rifle?

Your rifle only you know what level you want to take it to.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess the question is what do you intend to do with the rifle. Hunt, shoot or full restore? Evaluate the cost of each level. It should be what you want and are comfortable doing or paying to have done.

Hunt. Just fix it up so every thing works. Replace the Bullseye. Replace the forearm band with one with a stud. Do a nice patch on the forearm.

Shoot. Every thing for hunt plus remove the stud in the butt. Refinish the stocks. Keep the forearm band.

Full restore. You would need collectors opinion here. What would they pay for a reblued, restocked rifle? Would it be worth what say a 85%, 90% or 95% rifle sells for? Would a patched stock original to the rifle be worth more than a restocked rifle?

Your rifle only you know what level you want to take it to.
Probably won't be hunted ( straight wall only here) it does need cleaned up and refinishing for sure. I've got almost zero in it now so no matter what I'll be ahead, least I think so. I was actually trying to figure out if it was an actual texan or bubba's conglomeration of parts. I can tell he worked on it by the wrong, cross threaded, twisted off front barrel band screw. I appreciate the input thank you

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
You may get a better response on the collectors sub forum.
I have seen some saddle ring carbines. I just do not remember if they were Texans. I tend to think it came that way. Twisted cross threads and all that aside the ring just looks right to me.
A rjtmac restore would be nice. He is probably best suited to address the cost and needs.

I tend to hang onto my guns. I like to figure out what it is worth and what I paid for it. I usually only replace if it needs it to function.
I like your rifle. A nice tooled scabbard with matching holster complete with a Colt or clone 44-40 would make a nice display in your man cave.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,920 Posts
I got one just like it for song 15 or so years ago. Lee Bonitz, Grizzly, a site sponspor turned it into my, "Faux Maurauder".

AC

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got one just like it for song 15 or so years ago. Lee Bonitz, Grizzly, a site sponspor turned it into my, "Faux Maurauder".

AC
That turned out sweet!

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
Refinishing the wood doesn't bother me any, the metal on the other hand, little nervous about

I would use Flitz metal polish on the rifle. I have not found anything else that brings out the rust from the pits and gives the metal back some luster.
Andrew

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
I shot my saddle ring carbine yesterday at the range. It has a AA serial number which I think is 1965 the year I graduated from high school. Them and the SC's have always been my favorite Marlin models. Your rifle should clean up nicely with some tender loving care it looks original to me.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,920 Posts
If the rust is only powder and zero pitting a reblue would look great, Mine had some minor pits, visible on the photos when zoomed. I knew a satin finish would show some flies (character). The wood was so nice I didn't what to Parkerize it. It will be around for anothe 55 years as it is.

If you go the Parkerizing route I've got a great source for it in Titusville, FL. They Parkerize to Mil-Spec. An example of their work is my 'Baby Swede' posted here: 25+ Year Quest Finally Finished - Baby Swede Arrives, 6...

AC

1 - 20 of 38 Posts