Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone. I am getting ready to start reloading some 290gn BTB. With H4198 any recommendations on where to start? H4198 is the only powder I have at the moment and powder is scarce where I am at so I would like to use up the 5 lbs I have just unsure of a starting charge. Thanks for the help

John

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Great bullet, can't help with the Powder.

Reactions: utahtrapper

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I think I'm going to try 37.5 gn of h4198. In modern reloading they list a 280gn jacketed bullet and a 300gn jacketed bullet. 37.5 is in between the starting loads of each. Sound like a reasonable place to start or am I missing something? Are cast bullets running higher, lower, or the same powder charges of equal wt jacketed bullets?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mt sourdough thanks for the starting point I really appreciate it. You guys are always so helpful and quick to reply. I love this forum.
John

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
MT Sourdough is correct I have good loads and worked up to 45 gr
My favorite is 51 of RL-7 but thats just me start 10% below and see what works for you

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Utah trapper I will keep that combo in mind. I think I know where to get some RL 7 locally.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks Utah trapper I will keep that combo in mind. I think I know where to get some RL 7 locally.
You will be impressed !
Now I really like H-4198 but something about RL-7 and the 290 BTB go together like Peas and Carrots:driver:

Now as far as looking up a Jacketed bullet weight and "BTB" I have been told that I can start with the Max load for jacketed and work my way into the max for Cast BTB.
Its the lube and the fact that cast create less friction.
I will let the pro's on this site speak to my prespective on this good bad or ugly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That makes sence. Also goes inline with mt's suggestions and what I read in modern reloaded. His starting loads are what the max loads were in that book for jacketed bullets. Guess I will load 10 at 41, 10 at 42, 10 at 43, 10 at 44, and 10 at 45. See what my gun likes and watch for pressure signs.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Load 3 test rounds, that will tell you enough and it saves time and money, Reloader#7 goes with the 444 like Texas Pete and food!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Load 3 test rounds, that will tell you enough and it saves time and money, Reloader#7 goes with the 444 like Texas Pete and food!
There are some powders I can live without but I can't make it without Texas Pete!

BB

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
Yep, I'm loading test loads for my new to me T4 and 3-5 rounds of each is plenty to see how they group in your gun. I have about 10 different loads with R7 and H4198 waiting for the weekend to arrive. Don't know how I'll feel after touching off 40 -50 rounds in one setting though.........I may not make it through all of them..........but it ought to be FUN Trying!

What or who is a Texas Pete?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I have worked up this bullet as a load with both Reloader 7 and H4198. The Reloader 7 is the cats meow in this situation, but your starting powder charge is appropriate. There is one prominent poster who openly charges his load to 45 gr. of H4198 and this is where I ended up. At the time I called Marshall from BTB, and he said max was 42gr. of H4198.:hmmmm::shot:. YMMV

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
Ranch Dog 350 gr. lead bullet uses
Hodgdon H4198
38.4 grains
98 of case Density
1862 Velocity
42.0 Pmax (K) ? I done know what this mean. maybe someone else does?

Ranch Dog 265 gr. lead bullet
Hodgdon H4198
45.7 gr.
98 case density
2185 Vel.
42.0 Pmax

Notes for Ranch Dog’s use only!
Any other use is at your own risk!

This is all I have just to give you an idea.

PS found this thead it may help you. Click on it.
You may like to pm halwg and ask how his test with BTB 290 gr. and H4198 went in the thread below.

Load for the The Beartooth® 290gr LFNGC

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
At Beartooth bullet's LOAD SWAP, it shows another person posting the 45gr load of H4198 with the 290gr bullet. The poster of that load claims 2200 fps and about 1 inch at 100 yards. I have not tested a lot with the BTB 290, but I have an NOE/RD 432-300 that weighs in right at 295gr. The same as the 290 weighs. In my testing and read reports, the load info, as far as powder charges, mirror each other exactly. My load with the NOE/RD 432-300, averages 2245 out of a 22" barrel and about 3/4 MOA at 100.
Marshal's listed pet load with His 290gr bullet is 53gr of RL7. He gets 2364fps with said load.
I use Marshal's top loads as a sort of high water mark. If I am getting close to his maxes, I proceed with increased caution. His maxes are hot and I often can't duplicate, but others do.
To help put things into perspective. The Hodgdons listed top load for the Hornady 265fp is 47gr of H4198. The top load for the RD432-265 (weighs in at 275gr w/ww) is 47.5gr of H4198.
Do understand, the loads listed are true max loads in every sense of the word. Not max loads as defined by a lawyer or a business owner afraid of losing everything, but real honest maxes, if you go any further and you might begin to notice hard to extract issues within a tenth or two of a grain increase. Some of Marshal's loads I haven't been able to duplicate. My '65 can't handle the loads that my '07 handles with ease. That's not saying anything about those model years, because the difference is from rifle to rifle when talking true max pressure loads. That's why we start low and work you way up. You might find a lower pressure load that you actually prefer along the way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great info guys thank you so much. I got some loaded up at 41.5 gn. Caution is a definite must. Dont want to break my favorite gunnor worse. Looks like its time for a range day I just ver the last couple days loaded a bunch of .357, .44, .444, and 6.5x55 :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
308/338... thanks for the link. Did you get a RD 350? I ordered the 265 went back a couple months later to get the 300 and he was closing it down. So I missed out but I did save all his range data.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts