Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several overhauls I decided to do this 1931 BSA 15 using traditional methods to recapture it's original look if not a bit better!
Done! Hand rubbed oil finish, fresh cut checkering, slow rust blued, new crown and loading height adjusted. What a difference, this rifle hasn't looked this good in 80 years! I'll take better pics later, but here's what I've got for now.
Before,

After,

Unfortunately there were a couple ugly spots under the forestock where the sling swivel was moved around at some point. It was to fragile and shallow under the barrel recess to risk fixing, so I'm looking for a new blank.

I'm very happy with the slow rust blue! I'll never touch another cold blue product again! This blue method is the bees knees and actually quite easy though requires a lot of patience and attention to detail. And is it ever tough! It holds up to a wire wheel, can't say that about a cold blue!

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
That looks great! I'd love a .22 Martini one day, just need other guns first...

How did you rust blue it? It does look a lot better than cold blue.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bluing was easy. I used a product from brownells called laurel mtn forge barrel brown and degreaser and followed the instructions that go a little something like this;

http://www.finishing.com/4400-4599/4469.shtml

Im very happy with the way it came out. And it shoots amazing!

-Gun, $350
-bluing job, $15 & 8 hrs labor (not inc. rusting time)
-wood refinish, ~ $8 & 6.5 hours labor
-A martini that looks this good,.... priceless!

couple more pics for the heck of it!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Very nice!

Mikey, what is that stuff? Slow Rust Blue?

Jon

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Slow rust blue. Super cheap and relatively easy, but very time consuming.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Nice lookin rifle you got there. Is that the same company that made the bsa bikes in england?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The very same! I often wonder if people scooting around on BSA motorcycles are aware that it was built by the birmingham small arms company.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Very nice! them varmints best look out. ;D

·
Registered
849 Posts
Looking at the 'before' picture, you'd have no idea that had such nice grain in the stock.

It looks factory new! Great job.

Good luck on your forearm blank search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts