Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

I have been unemployed since April 2013 and am currently going through bankruptcy in Tampa Florida. My brother is in Bryan Texas and has offered temporary shelter for me to go there and look for work. He talks about how Texas is booming but due to his work / hours is unable to provide any details on what is currently available.

From 1977 to 2008, I worked as a civil engineering designer, designing and drafting permit plans for subdivisions, apartment complexes, shopping malls and other commercial buildings. From 2008 to April 2013 I worked as a salesman and photography instructor at a specialty camera store. From 1978 to April 2013, periodic commercial, portrait (studio & location) and wedding photography provided enough money to fund equipment upgrades, repairs and purchases but not enough to go full time.

I have built AR's as well as disassembled, repaired and rebuilt other firearms for myself and friends - I am not a gunsmith, just love the challenge and enjoy the 'tinkering' so to speak.

It is my limited (and possibly ignorant) impression that Bryan Texas is pretty much a college town and my limited skill set / work history may not be a good match for the area. I want to leave Florida and only consider moving to another gun owner friendly state.

Looking for opinions, impressions and/or comments from people in or close to Bryan Texas to weigh in, thank you.

Peace,
Mark

·
Registered
140 Posts
Been away from that area for many years, so no longer have any "connections." That being said, the BCS area has been growing like crazy for quite some time so your engineering expertise should stand you in good stead. Good luck! GW

·
Registered
480 Posts
Can't speak of that area but I would highly recommend creating an account on careerbuilder.com. You can upload a resume & apply to jobs very easily. It will allow you to search jobs all over the country based on your criteria/skills.

Best of luck,
Tom

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's weird. My daughter moved from Bryan to Tampa earlier this year. Better work opportunities in Tampa. But, she is in the old peoples health care business.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
My 26 yo son works/ lives in son the Killeen area says plenty of work there-a-bouts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The unemployment rate in Bryan is pretty low at 3.9% in June. It's even less out west in Midland/Odessa. There's a lot of oil field work. Texas is probably one of the best job markets in the country now. In Bryan, you're only about an hour and a half from Houston or Austin too.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You are tailor made for the North Dakota Oil Patch. Up here, there are 7 people for each 10 jobs. With your degree and some experience, one would think you would be an instant hire. Housing is short in the area so some out fits work a guy 14 and you are off 10 and some are paying transportation back to home base. This is a happening place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mark, as I said I've been gone from that area a long time, but I did speak with a friend who lives there. He is out of town for a while, but advised that growth has been tremendous and possibilities for someone with your training are strong. He also said that Houston has been spreading out thru the years, and that many people from the area commute to jobs in the Houston area. Turn your problems over to the Lord and follow his guidance. GW

·
Super Moderator
13,464 Posts
Plenty of jobs in Texas, but there is a lot of market saturation here with unemployed people seeking jobs. I had to apply to over 400 places before I finally landed a job. With that being said, it's tough, but the work is here if you're willing to get out and look for it. If you're ok with hard, backbreaking, sweaty work for 10-12 hours a day and most of the time 7 days a week you'll love it here. Bryan is a pretty good clip from Houston, but heck.. I'm driving 50 miles each way everyday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts