Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brushes, Jags, Both or Boresnake?

VOTE WITH YOUR ANSWER!!! (Solvent is a given.)

1. Brush (vote with choice of nylon, brass or steel)

2. Jag

3. Both

4. Boresnake

·
Registered
283 Posts
Usually Brass Jag only.

If I have a lot of leading (rare with a .22) I will use a bronze brush followed by patches on a jag.

Typically, I only clean my .22's bore a couple times a year. I oil the moving parts and clean/oil the outside.

Back when I shot some .22 Bench competition, guys would only clean when groups stopped being "1 hole" and then it seemed to take a couple hundred rounds for the bore to settle in after being cleaned. I'd always have to schedule a range day after cleaning to foul the bore again. Go figure...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Usually Brass Jag only.

If I have a lot of leading (rare with a .22) I will use a bronze brush followed by patches on a jag.
Same here. Not the leading part but a bronze brush just helps to break some grime free. The jag is next to wipe everything away. I follow that with a loop with a patch to wipe any leftovers. I enjoy cleaning and really take my time.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Both, and I am anal about cleaning my firearms - most of us former military guys are.

I swab with a cleaner solvent, powder and copper solvent, to cut the muck, then brass brush, then swab and brush some more, then comes the jag until it comes out clean, always from the bore to the muzzle.

On my long range stick, a Savage 10 FP LE, it's even more anal - I always want all the copper fouling out, but I lapped that bore early in the process and I want to keep it pristine and sub MOA, so I am very careful with that one and it is totally clean after each shooting then it gets the JB bore paste to finish, much like honing the edge of a good knife on a strop.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Since joining up here on MO and based on all the discussions my cleanings are now far and few between. Bore cleanings when the groups start to open up, and I generaly open up and ligty clean the action maybe everyother time I shoot. Mostly a jag, sometimes the nylon brush if its really bad. This is quite an improvement over my early days when I was taught to use 3-1oil and a old coathanger my dad had straighten out cleaing duty.
Thanks,

Reactions: da 'Burgh

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
This is quite an improvement over my early days when I was taught to use 3-1oil and a old coathanger my dad had straighten out cleaing duty.
Thanks,
You've obviously never been school in my Grandpappy's school of bailing twine with a lead fish sinker molded with pliers around one end, and a noose on the other end to hold the piece of motor-oil tee shirt.

I call it the original bore snake.

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Both, prefer nylon bore brushes, but always Hoppe's #9 for powder and copper fowling. I'm very anal about cleaning my guns properly and regularly, just like most infantry vets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts