Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I posted here. I'm looking for a "brush" gun, something short and light but capable of taking deer at 150 yards. The obvious choice is the .30-30, but I'm looking at .35 Remington as well. I'm guessing the 30-30 would be cheaper to shoot since I like to practice and get familiar with the gun I'm using. I occasionally have shots at 200 yards but those are not common. Which do you think?

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
:pepsi:

Couldn't find the popcorn emoticon, but regardless, this will eventually get interesting.

Personally, I have a .35 and won't trade it for anything. Have .30-30's too, but they just don't appeal to me like the .35 does. That being said, either will do what it needs to do, or what you are looking to do with it - - the real trick is to make sure the shooter is up to the task of putting the round where it needs to go. Field-craft is important, but in the end, shot placement is king.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Been a while since I posted here. I'm looking for a "brush" gun, something short and light but capable of taking deer at 150 yards. The obvious choice is the .30-30, but I'm looking at .35 Remington as well. I'm guessing the 30-30 would be cheaper to shoot since I like to practice and get familiar with the gun I'm using. I occasionally have shots at 200 yards but those are not common. Which do you think?
Sounds like a description of my deer gun.
A superbly accurate & dependable Remlin 336C in 35 Rem using the Hornady 200 grain FTX ammo.
I have a Leupold ultralight (at least 4 ounces lighter than generic 2-7x scopes) 2-7x28mm scope mounted on an EGW mount with Leupold QD rings.
I can dismount the scope to use the iron sights in seconds.
The scope is dead-on-zero after dismounting and remounting.........the QD rings are amazing.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
30-30... more rifle model options, cheaper to shoot, many times more the ammo choices, flatter shooting, improved range, lighter recoil and it is finally getting back to were you can buy ammo for a 30-30 anywhere ammo is sold.

Regardless which caliber you choose, you can not go wrong by making it a Marlin lever gun.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you're going to reload, the 35 Remington is the way to go. If you are going to use store-bought ammo, go with the 30-30.

I have a forward mounted 2.5x scout scope on mine. An ultralight 2.5x would work as would a 1-4x20.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Surprisingly I only know 1 person that uses the .35 but holds it to high regards, I hunt with and know a lot of people that love their .30-30s (specifically my 88 year old neighbor). I don't reload and in my area (could be different in other areas) I'm looking at $35 a box for .35 so that's my major dilemma

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I have a Rossi 92 (pre safety) trapper in 44 Mag with a 16 " barrel that weighs less than 5 pounds which is an excellent fast pointing heavy brush gun.
The 44 Mag has much more impressive ballistics out of a 16" barrel fired from a sealed receiver than it does from a "vented" cylinder revolver.
With my 240 grain ammo a ME of 1700 ft-lbs...........in the 30-30 ball park.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Rossi 92 (pre safety) trapper in 44 Mag with a 16 " barrel that weighs less than 5 pounds which is an excellent fast pointing heavy brush gun.
The 44 Mag has much more impressive ballistics out of a 16" barrel fired from a sealed receiver than it does from a "vented" cylinder revolver.
With my 240 grain ammo a ME of 1700 ft-lbs...........in the 30-30 ball park.
I have considered a .44, my neighbor that I hunt with has a Ruger Deerfield carbine in 44 magnum. I borrowed it during deer season and while I didn't get to take a shot on a deer with it he's taken a few deer with it.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
I too like the 35 Rem--best for deer and black bear--I would chose it over the 30-30. I would make one caution however. If you are going to keep your shots to 150 yards or less--that 16" or 18" barrel will work just fine. I read where you might have to take a longer shot--if so--you had better think about staying with a 20" barrel. You can compensate for the longer ranges SOMEWHAT by reloading your own ammo to find that magic mixture of bullet/primer/powder---etc. For longer ranges--velocity is key--I would NOT be hack sawing off any barrel if I was gonna shoot 200-250 yards. Hope you find that magic brush gun for your hunting/shooting needs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I too like the 35 Rem--best for deer and black bear--I would chose it over the 30-30. I would make one caution however. If you are going to keep your shots to 150 yards or less--that 16" or 18" barrel will work just fine. I read where you might have to take a longer shot--if so--you had better think about staying with a 20" barrel. You can compensate for the longer ranges SOMEWHAT by reloading your own ammo to find that magic mixture of bullet/primer/powder---etc. For longer ranges--velocity is key--I would NOT be hack sawing off any barrel if I was gonna shoot 200-250 yards. Hope you find that magic brush gun for your hunting/shooting needs.
Thanks, those shots are very rare. Normally maxing out at 150 yards in the areas I primarily hunt. If I know I'll have longer shots I'll normally borrow my uncles .270

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I have a few brush guns, a Marlin m3087 Longhorn Commeriative Edition 30-30win, a Marlin 336 35rem, a Marlin 1894 44 mag and its side kick a Taurus 8 3/8 inch 44 mag revolver, a Rossi Rio Grande 45-70govt, a New England single shot 12ga and a JC Higgins Pump 12ga!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Your in about the same part of the country as I am and we probably hunt just about the same terrain.
I do most of my rifle hunting in Vermont and New Hampshire I do hunt bear in MASS. Though I own and love my marlin SBL witch is a superb brush gun. My 35 rem is really all I need for the north east. I wouldn't even feel under gunned if I ever get lucky and win the lottery for a moose tag.
The difference might not be much between the 35 and the 30-30 to a lot of guy's. But IMO the 35 gets the edge for bigger critters in the north east. Especially when you can load it up with some 220gr FP's.
One more thing I love the way a short brush gun handles but I can't tell the difference between 18 inches or 20.
Rifle Shotgun Air gun Wood
Ammunition Brass Metal Bullet Hand
Circle

That's my idea of the perfect north eastern brush gun and those are some 220gr FP's that I loaded up that shoot to the same point of impact as the hornady leverevolution 200gr at 100 yards. And that's the target.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your in about the same part of the country as I am and we probably hunt just about the same terrain.
I do most of my rifle hunting in Vermont and New Hampshire I do hunt bear in MASS. Though I own and love my marlin SBL witch is a superb brush gun. My 35 rem is really all I need for the north east. I wouldn't even feel under gunned if I ever get lucky and win the lottery for a moose tag.
The difference might not be much between the 35 and the 30-30 to a lot of guy's. But IMO the 35 gets the edge for bigger critters in the north east. Especially when you can load it up with some 220gr FP's.
One more thing I love the way a short brush gun handles but I can't tell the difference between 18 inches or 20.
View attachment 101987 View attachment 101988 View attachment 101990
That's my idea of the perfect north eastern brush gun and those are some 220gr FP's that I loaded up that shoot to the same point of impact as the hornady leverevolution 200gr at 100 yards. And that's the target.
That's a nice rifle you've got, I've thought about the bigger animals but don't really want to hunt anything bigger than NY whitetails. I'll see if I can shoot both calibers to make the final decision

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I have considered a .44, my neighbor that I hunt with has a Ruger Deerfield carbine in 44 magnum. I borrowed it during deer season and while I didn't get to take a shot on a deer with it he's taken a few deer with it.
I just sold off a Ruger 96/44 levergun.
The Rossi 92 was lighter & more accurate.

Reactions: BFPGW
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.