Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a new vernier for my winchester 1885 highwall today. CDNN sports has them for $99. They are the browning set and lack a front globe. But for the price I couldn't resist. Thought I would get this put out there in case anyone has a need for these at a good price.

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
Thanks, for that price I might have to pickup a couple, and make them fit my Marlins.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks Sparky. The sight was delivered yesterday and I immediately took it apart to see if it could be used on a Marlin. Just take the base screw out, turn the staff around so it faces the other end
of the base and put the screw back in. The base will have to be cut down and have new hole(s) added or at worst have a new base made. Not as nice as an MVA but for $120.00 not bad.

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
Thanks again
I have 2 coming, should work nice on my 32-40, and 45-70 1881's. I will see how they are, may order some more.

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
I see they are all gone.:( Have to drill a new hole, but both will fit may Marlin 1881's just about perfect. Wish I would have bought more.
I do see that Optics planet has them for $489.:ahhhhh:

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a few were able to get a good deal. Glad a passed it along! I probably should have grabbed 2 myself.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Looks like a few were able to get a good deal. Glad a passed it along! I probably should have grabbed 2 myself.
Thought the same thing myself.

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
When prices like this are advertised, it will pay to remember the "Buyer's Golden Rule" -- "he who snoozes, looses"....

·
Registered
16 Posts
When prices like this are advertised, it will pay to remember the "Buyer's Golden Rule" -- "he who snoozes, looses"....
Please, use the proper format: "You snooze, you lose!" I snost, & lost... :(

The bitter irony is that I saw these months ago before CDNN [regrettably] overhauled their website [the old one was better], but figured they wouldn't fit. [Sigh] Foiled by my own cynicism! ;)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Here it is installed. Shortened and drilled the base, d&t'd the tang. Still slightly out of square (leaning back) with the barrel, need to adjust the spring detent.
A few swipes with a file should do it. The rifle is an early 90's Black shadow that I got because of it's 24 inch barrel and pistol grip.
Going to try it out at the WDRA this weekend if those guys let me shoot a "black" rifle. If it shoots well I'll put a pretty wood stock on it.
Thanks for the heads up Sparky.
tang2.JPG tang1.JPG

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You'd better bring that black rifle.

:biggrin:

What a great deal on those sights. Sorry I missed out.

See you Friday.

B

Reactions: old-machinist

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there o-m -- My memory is a little hazy on that sight base, but I think the staff spring sits in a recess under the "ears". If so... Getcha a piece of steel crate banding - the blue stuff - and you can kink that for staff springs. Save the original and use it as a template to measure your progress. The "kink crown" needs to move to the rear if I'm not mistaken. File for width and length. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks for the tip Wind. There's bits and pieces of 3 or 4 thicknesses leftover from a forming tool job.
Brian, I'll head out before noon and see if I can lend a hand if needed.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm leaving Friday as soon as Sweet Pea gets home from school.

B

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if there are any modifications that will get the aperture a bit lower. Maybe file the bottom corners a hair on the block the aperture screws into? I've installed a taller front sight and it's still a hair too high for a hundred yds.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I thought that might be a problem. The front sight on the black shadow is on a ramp, so it may be tall enough. I'll let you know what I find out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts