Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the Browning Challenger? I have an opportunity to purchase a mid 60’s (I think) Challenger that is at least 98%. Any ideas of what a fair price would be?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
No idea Festus, but that thing is purdy!

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
The Belgium made Challengers command a premium over the later Challenger II and III's. Asking prices are all over the board, but using a bit of averaging puts them right around $475 to $525. Challenger II's average closer to $300.

Roe

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! It is a very nice pistol indeed with a trigger that is as good as any semi-auto pistol I've ever felt. Assuming the seller has his heart right, I think I will add it to the stable...

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Klondike Mike said:
If you like nice fit & finish, good sights and triggers you'll probably like it. Mike
;D

Jon

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I just picked up a 1968 Challenger with the 4" barrel. It is 99%- and I made this observation- when you find a used Browning it is usually in really good shape. I paid $400 for it. I'm thrilled. I shot it a little already- functions great and right on target for this left eyed dyslexic.

Pictures will go in the handgun photo thread.

M

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it looks like I'm the proud new owner at a decent price, I will try to get some better pictures up soon. The pistol fits perfectly in my El Paso Saddlery holster that the wife got me for Christmas for my Ruger MkII ;D...

I have found very little information on the web about the guns but what I have found seems to be very positive. There seems to be a direct link between the Browning Challenger and the Colt Woodsman. If you guys have found a good source of information, please let me know. I would love to find another clip for it (it only has 1) but they seem to be pretty scarce.

Festus

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked one up about 4 years ago. Mid 60s, Belgian made, terrific gun. They are a little harder to find in Canada but those that are around are usually very well taken care of.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I have the Challenger III and like it alot. It is very accurate and i've never had any FTE/FTF issues. The only problem i have with it, is i too need another magazine and they can be hard to find sometimes. I aapreciate the link where to buy them also. I bought mine used probly approx 15yrs ago and if i remember correctly think i paid about $275 for it :hmmmm:. It fit my hand great and was like new condition so the price was not an issue.

Festus, I hope you get as much enjoyment from yours as i have mine :tee:

Heres mine

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
452 Posts
I bought mine in Dec. 65. It is a never sell. I also saw 2 for sale at a gun show a week ago. Both were $600. Both did not sell .

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Browning Challenger I's are awesome, they are one of the best kept secrets of the rimfire handguns.

All their parts are interchangeable with the Medalist, the finest 22 target handgun ever made!!

Congrats on your purchase

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just picked up a 69 version. There is quite a bit of wear on it but it functions like new. I could really use another sight strap as the one on this gun has quite a bit of pitting on it. The best part is it came with two magazines and I paid very little for it. It shoots incredibly well. Can anyone tell me about the trigger adjustment on this I have heard that it is the screw in the back under the slide.

Firearm Gun Trigger Brown Airsoft gun

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
those are sweet! nice pistola's boys!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
not sure if the challenger has a trigger adjustment, but this is the procedure for a Medalist

"The adjusting screw to regulate the trigger pull is located on the rear face of the frame. Turning the screw in a counter-clockwise direction lightens the trigger pull; turning it clockwise increases it. The adjusting screw to regulate trigger backlash is located in the top surface of the trigger. Turning it clockwise decreases backlash.

The micrometer rear sight is click-adjustable for both horizontal and vertical correction. Each click, horizontal or vertical, equals one minute of angle."

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I just sold a Challenger made in 1965 with a 4" barrel the other day to a friend for $400. Only things I didn't like was 4" barrel and that the grip was too big for my smallish hands. The Belgium Challenger's were great pistols.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts