Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use this factory load? My LGS has it on sale at a good price. The bullet has a rounded, composite tip. Any field-use experiences? Point of aim differences from standard 150-gr or 170-gr loadings?

Browning BMR 30-30 01.jpg Browning BMR 30-30 02.jpg

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Browning doesn't make ammo. They have it loaded and packaged with their boxes and head stamps. It is likely made by one of the big makers such as Speer/Federal, Hornaday, WW, Rem., Norma, Wolf, or others. I have not used the .30-30, but I have shot a lot of Browning branded ammo over the years. No problems ever. I always check the sight settings when switching ammo. Tweaking is comon.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I would not pay extra for it over a Federal blue box 30-30 load or Winchester power points, although I have been hearing some bad things about Winchester ammo lately.

DEP

·
Registered
429 Posts
As I understand it the Browning branded ammo is made by Winchester. As best as I can tell the Browning deer ammo is just repackaged deer season XP bullets with a slightly oddball weight and a little 'bling', nickel plated cases and copper plated tip. I'm sure it works fine for deer, I can't say I'd be tempted to pay anything extra for it. But if I saw it on a good sale, sure I might buy a box to try in my gun.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But if I saw it on a good sale, sure I might buy a box to try in my gun.
I did exactly that. Trying to decide if I should grab more.

Reactions: miner_luke

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Give us a range report when you shoot it, ....
It seems to be a vampire load. Silver cartridge case, silver plated bullet jacket (not copper colored). Still snow all over the range here, so field test won't be for a bit.

Reactions: miner_luke

·
Registered
429 Posts
It seems to be a vampire load. Silver cartridge case, silver plated bullet jacket (not copper colored). Still snow all over the range here, so field test won't be for a bit.
Can you post a pic of the bullets for us? A silver vampire load could come in handy someday if the season on vampires ever gets reopened ;)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Winchester ammo (Browning and Winchester are bedfellows). New bullet design.
The tip of the bullet is reported to be 85% copper in a polymer 'matrix'.

Explosive tip with 'controlled-expansion' body/core.

It'll be interesting to see how it performs.

Edit: Here's an American Hunter article about it, from December: BXR and BXC

·
Registered
429 Posts
Winchester ammo (Browning and Winchester are bedfellows). New bullet design.
The tip of the bullet is reported to be 85% copper in a polymer 'matrix'.

Explosive tip with 'controlled-expansion' body/core.

It'll be interesting to see how it performs.

Edit: Here's an American Hunter article about it, from December: BXR and BXC
Thanks for posting that article. I'm actually surprised that they are supposed designed and manufactured for Browning by Winchester instead of just rebranded ammo. That BXR stuff looks like it could be a good deer load, but then again what isn't?? But if I see it on sale for a decent price I may buy a box to try in either my 30-30 or 243.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that is just repackaged Winchester ammo. How much is a 'good price' from your lgs?
Not quite, if you read the linked article above your post. $23/box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts