Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:biggrin:Recently acquired early production Belgium made Browning BLR in 308. I was able to hunt down a period correct Browning (Redfield) 3x9 scope with the Redfield mounts and rings. Made a great package and shoots very well. No buyers remorse on this one!

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My wife has one of those in a takedown and it's a great gun very accurate.
It gets cloverleafs at 100 yards with 180 grain bullets.

Reactions: duxnbucks

·
Registered
21,078 Posts
Congrats on a beautiful shooter!:tee:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The Browning BLR's are slicker than Bill Clinton in a room full of female interns.

·
Registered
423 Posts
What year was it made? I have never personally seen or touched a BLR that has been made in Belgium. That has to be a great rifle!

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I've got the BLR 81 in 308 and absolutely love it, they say its not as good as the Belgium but seems perfect to me.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Congrats, great looking rifle! BLR's are nice rifles, and I'm sure it will do the job for you too... enjoy.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I've got the BLR 81 in 308 and absolutely love it, they say its not as good as the Belgium but seems perfect to me.
Always wanted to meet the mysterious but bashful THEY.
I have owned both Belgium "black trigger" BLRs and Miroku of Japan "gold trigger" BLRs and the two Miroku BLR takedowns I own now are by a good measure the most accurate.
This is not a general statement comparing Belgium and Japan made BLRs but a statement about the BLRs I have experienced in the past and still own.
I will say that the bluing on the Belgium BLRs I owned had a rich deep lustre to it that I have not seen matched on any other gun.
There is just something about the finish on a Belgium Browning that sets them apart.
I'll buy a Belgium BLR to look at and a Japan Miroku BLR to shoot.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Some years ago my father gave my son his beloved .308 Browning BLR, also a made-in-Belgium rifle. Dad used that mostly for hunting hogs in the mountains of northern California.

My oldest son has been using it off and on for a number of years now. Great rifles. IF you've got a Belgium made BLR, be careful with those magazines. They're worth their weight in gold, and the Japanese made ones I've tried don't work in the Belgium made guns.

Guy

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Still waiting for the steel receiver BLR is better than alloy receiver BLR myth to pop out of the woodwork.
What's taking it so long?
Like "all Remlins are bad" it's kinda part of the furniture around here.
14 posts and it hasn't been brought up yet.
I might as well jump the gun and mention it myself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, I'll jump in to say start looking for a second magazine. The Belgian magazines are getting few and far between plus those offering to sell are very proud of them.

Which is better is a question remains a question for better minds than mine.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Still waiting for the steel receiver BLR is better than alloy receiver BLR myth to pop out of the woodwork.
What's taking it so long?
Like "all Remlins are bad" it's kinda part of the furniture around here.
14 posts and it hasn't been brought up yet.
I might as well jump the gun and mention it myself.
Just bought a new aluminun frame BLR to replace the 1 I gave away, so I don't buy into the myth.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Honestly I'd rather have a stainless steel in a 308 takedown.
The 308 is as long as I'd be comfortable with.
Cycling the action in a loooong cartridge like the 300 win mag
I think would be too long for me.
It'd make for a nice 600 yard gun tho.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
For those that don't know, the newer redesigned BLR's with aluminum alloy receivers have the bolt lock-up into a steel breech and plenty tough with nothing to worry about there. Many US and foreign military weapons have been designed like this for quite some time, from small caliber up to larger cannons. The last shotgun I bought new is similarly designed with an alloy receiver as well.

Reactions: M700 and duxnbucks
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.