Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading up a few websites...apparently back in the 70s and 80s or so, due to the ban on civilian semiautomatic rifles with high cap mags in the UK or somehting like that....there were a few people or shops making this conversion for the Browning BLR series, which entailed converting the stock magazine well to something to take either BAR magazines.. same for the .223 version using NATO .223 magazines as used by either Ruger or AR and a certain british bolt action which used the same mag as the SA80/85 series?

I've never seen photographic evidence of such a mod and am wondering what happens with the lever's travel hitting the rear of the mag....unless they re-engineered the timing to make it such a short action?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm. I think I wasn't quite clear.....
BLR 308, yes it exists, it uses a 4-round magazine which are bloody expensive to replace; ditto for the .223 version..now; I had read somewhere that a company in the UK made a kit to convert the BLR to take AR magazines...and possibly the same company did some for the 308 version using L1A1 type magazines....question, has anyone ever seen one or even a picture of such a conversion? I know the Levermatic type of levers are very short throw actions, but I;m not sure of the BLR? if its essentially a bolt action with a cammed lever to increase bolt travel with less radius, it might be doable, but wouldn't that mean alot of machining as well?

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
No I ever even heard of such a thing. besides who would want more than 4 or 5 shots with a BLR?

T ::) NY

·
Registered
79 Posts
My father has a 1971 in .308, I have a 1973 in .308 both built in Belgium. I believe they moved the building of to Japan shortly after mine.
The mags can be found but not cheap. My father found browning sold them for $80 each.
I remember back in the 70's he had two magazines welded together to make a 8 or 10 shot but it never worked well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts