Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Just wondering if anybody could point me to a takedown guide for the above. I have the exploded diagram but could really do with a step by step guide.

Much appreciated,

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I've got one of these rifles but I don't have the information you need. You might check around some of the Browning sites.
Steve

·
Super Moderator
9,342 Posts
How about sharing where you found it. I have had a distributor special stainless BL-22 for a few years and can't find any info on tear down.

Jeff

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jeff

A shooting buddy photocopied a few pages from a gunsmithing book that had the stripdown guide.

I'd be happy to scan them and email a copy to you if you let me have your addy.

Dan :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Try this. Hope its what your after.

·
Super Moderator
9,342 Posts
Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks. ;D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Getting closer......

Now if I can just figure out how to remove the magazine tube I should have it made. I see there is a retaining screw, but it appears you can not access that without removing the sub-assembly which is what I am trying to do in the first place. I was under the impression removing the take down screw was all that was needed to remove the subassembly.......... It should not be this difficult to replace a firing pin.;D

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
You should not have to remove the mag tube to take out the bolt. You might have to loosen the stock bolt, as I have seen them so in so tight, that they bind the main take down screw from easily coming out. In other word, the wood is pushing against the receiver, and in effect causing the lever group to pull against the take down screw. Hard to explain but I am not making it up.

The stock and trigger group will then seperate from the reciever and the receiver will be like an empty shell. It may take some gentle twisting and wiggling to get them to separate, but just don't force anything ,or be tempted to get a hammer.

As I recall, the bolt will,then be in hand, and upon re assy, may take some patience getting everything lined up back into place.

Seems like the ejector just lays in a groove on the left side, so find a nice clean bench, or hardwood floor, so that ya can find it after it falls out. Might be wrong on the ejector, it has been a awhile since working on one. And if memory serves, the tube is held in by the cross pin through the for end band, but again, little reason to ever drive it out in such a case as this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You should not have to remove the mag tube to take out the bolt. You might have to loosen the stock bolt, as I have seen them so in so tight, that they bind the main take down screw from easily coming out. In other word, the wood is pushing against the receiver, and in effect causing the lever group to pull against the take down screw. Hard to explain but I am not making it up.

The stock and trigger group will then seperate from the reciever and the receiver will be like an empty shell. It may take some gentle twisting and wiggling to get them to separate, but just don't force anything ,or be tempted to get a hammer.

As I recall, the bolt will,then be in hand, and upon re assy, may take some patience getting everything lined up back into place.

Seems like the ejector just lays in a groove on the left side, so find a nice clean bench, or hardwood floor, so that ya can find it after it falls out. Might be wrong on the ejector, it has been a awhile since working on one. And if memory serves, the tube is held in by the cross pin through the for end band, but again, little reason to ever drive it out in such a case as this.
I didn't think it needed to be disassembled to that degree, but, and I have taken apart a lot of guns in my day, I am not physically able to pull it apart and I'm a pretty strong guy. The take down screw was easily removed, but the sub-assembly will not budge.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Then something is hung or jammed. Believe me, the mag tube is not holding the fire control assy in place. Only thing I can figure, is that perhaps oil and crap has varnished up, and acting like glue, as there is a lot of surface area between the trigger bow and receiver. Only other thing is that perhaps the newer ones they put some other screw or gizmo in place, that the early models did not have.

I would soak around the cracks with what ever choice of user friendly solvent for a couple of days, then perhaps lightly tap on the lever bow with a plastic or wooden dowel or something. Just tap understand to set some vibration in place.

I dont recall having the lever open or anything be part of the issue, but it cant hurt to open it and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
obe-wan, this was very helpful as I just got a new BL-22 myself. I tried to separate the Receiver so I could get in and clean it but after removing the screw, it doesnt just pull back and separate. is there any light tapping required?

thanks

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Great Video! :congrats:

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
That video by mixup98 is excellent. One day, I'm gonna get me a BL-22, and you know what? I'm gonna avoid taking it apart for as long as possible! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts