Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Was at the gun shop today and there was this little 30-30AS that really needed some love

As you can see it has had some surface rust and the buttplate is not perfectly on.

But I only paid $175 for it.

Its not rare is it? I was thinking of cutting it down to 16.5 inches long in the barrel.

Oh well just sharing
Kid

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
There is an AS here that is in pretty much the same shape and they will only come down to 250.00. A Glenfield 30 in much worse shape and will only come down 25 to $275. I think you did good.
DP

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I'd say anytime you can get one for $250 or less you better grab it if you can. Anything under $200 is a must have around here. The one with the sling in my avatar I gave $225 for a few days ago. I think you done very good.. ;D

·
Registered
797 Posts
You did real good!

I like that style best in a 336 - no pistol grip cap, and no barrel band.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
That is a low budget project in the making, really good buy.

Gosh I think it was 5 - 6 yrs ago I picked up a similar project in a pawn for $125, a 1949 RC 30-30 it was a total mess, really abused.

But I am a tool and die maker and wanted to do a curved to straight without buying parts, cut the tang, bbl, mag tube and post the results here and it has stimulated a lot of conversions, all in all a great truck gun now. The new owner loves it.

Here is a few photos unfortunate no befores, also added is a converted straight lever (with squared end) in .35 with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
That's a heck of a deal at $175. I passed on a CS the other day for $199 that was in way worse shape than yours. It's ok though because I'm working on a SC project now anyway. Good luck with your new project. :)

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Awww hell, don't let Scott (1895gunner) hear you talking all about cuttin her down, he'll have you portin' and all kinna nonsense ;D

Nice rescue, (I think) :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more I look at her the more I think I may just fix her up

I am not sure. Does the wood look like walnut?

It is not a dark walnut from the looks

Kid

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I would find a nice old original OEM buttplate ..slap a vintage K3 Weaver on it mounted low as I could get it and walk the woods loaded with 170 blue box Federals in the fine piece slung over my shoulder with the widest grin on my face that a belt sander couldn't wipe off...you did good ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts