Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a long neglected Winchester 94 that has a broken tang. The break is right behind the hammer slot. Tried having it welded but it broke again in the same spot when I attempted to secure the stock. There was no flex in the repaired tang. Any thoughts or suggestions ? anybody ever deal with this problem before?

·
Administrator
23,784 Posts
Find someone who is a very good tig welder. Install the stock after you grind back the old weld. Have your welder tack it together, avoiding damaging the wood. Now it will fit without stress. Remove the stock and finish the welding.

·
Administrator
23,784 Posts
A tig welder uses filler metal plus the parent metal in the repair, kind of a blend. Using the right rod on the fill is important. This is why gunsmiths get the big money they know the metal rod needed and where to get it.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
I had 94 in 38/55 that had same crack. I silver soldered it. But made a spacer bushing ( tubular ) for tang bolt to pass through and
keep screw from compressing the tang to much. My tang was not completely snapped off. Swanny's method is better than mine. I
dont have the equipment or skill to do it that way. But bushing is still good idea.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,043 Posts
Aren't Winchester post '64 made of some kind of iron alloy? If it is in the cast iron family it may be more difficult. Perhaps a search of the the Winchester forums may be in order. AC

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
I've come across a few 94's with this crack/break. Ed's suggestion is legit. Tig welding is the way to go. I remember seeing one back in my teens, it had been v'd out and brazed. Ugly but it was holding together... << kinda added character to the rifle which already had brass headed tacks in the stock, the bust of a topless woman carved on the butt, and other "embellishments"

Reactions: Drm50

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Parson, I to have seen the type of guns you are referring to. I always wanted to run into this "artist" and put his fingers in a large
vice and crank it shut with a cheater bar. He has always been one step ahead of me. I herd he travels around with a guy that has
a big screw driver that he uses to bugger up gun screws, when he's not using it to stir paint.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
I actually have his phone number.... He posted some photos of his work on a local gun shop Bulletin board advertising his services.... One of the victims was a Marlin buttstock. The other looked like a Model 70 Winchester....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts