Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've broken 2 extractors on a new 1895 SBL 45/70 in less than 50 rounds. Marlin will send new ones, but what is causing it to break?

Winchester factory loads with two rounds splitting the case (along the long axis of the case). Second time to the range, 30 rounds fine with no split cases. Third time second broken extractor after 8 rounds.

Should I polish the chamber to ease case extraction?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Welcome aboard. Hard to answer the question without some more details unfortunately. Personally, I have not heard of Marlins extractors breaking. As you know they are not difficult to replace and there isn't much to go wrong. Clearly something is!
Are you able to post some close up shots of the broken extractors that would give us a clue to what is going on? How does the action feel otherwise? Labored vs smooth? Are there any drag marks on the brass? How old is the rifle? Bought new or used?

cheers,

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
Measure the diameter of the chamber and compare it to SAMMI specs. Split cases may be from an oversized chamber which is fairly common on the Marlin1894, don't know about the 1895s. I would consider a rough chamber causing extraction difficulty leading to extractor failure but you did not mention hard extraction. Bad ammo is a real possibility as well as the new Marlins may be experiencing a bad batch of extractors. (can't imagine that - NOT) Ammo, chamber, extractors - prime suspects. Please let us know what you find. Thank you, AC

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've broken one trying to bend it. The clamp portion is spring steel, the straight part is not. Out toward the end it's brittle. A common fix for jamming/failure to feed is to bend the extractor outboard but it has to be done near the base of the extractor next to the clamp. Are you having feeding issues? That's where the bending load is on the extractor, not during extraction.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have broken an extractor on a 336.....the rifle is a 30-30 and one day I got the bright idea of trying 125 gr nosler ballistic tips in this rifle. No rookie here I knew I couldn't use those pointy bullets in that magazine but the stubborn little demon told me "go ahead.... it will work... you can single load em". So dummy made up a dummy, single loaded it, and closed the lever. So far so good. Opened the action with the lever to remove dummy and when the case bumped the ejector the nose of the BT had NOT cleared the ejection port and something had to give.... snapped off the extractor hook.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies! No pictures, but both extractors have the front "hook" sheared off, no other apparent damage. Feeding and extracting were fine, a bit stiff but it is a new gun (2010 but only 50 rounds). No drag marks on the brass. First 40 rounds were Winchester nickel plated. Last 10 were brass. Marlin sent me two new extractors so I'll try again. At least I know it is not a widely common problem and needs investigation. I don't get to the range often, so it may take me a few months have any news. I'll also measure he chamber to check against SAMMI specs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts