Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I decided to do a detailed strip of my newly acquired 1895gs( jm stamp of course :)) everything went great then when I was putting my magazine endcap screw in it broke. I am going to order a new one but I was thinking I have a torque screwdriver anybody have any general torque for all the screws on it? The screwdriver is in inch pounds I always use it for scopes and stock screws on bolt actions figured I'd try to get more money worth from it thanks for ur info

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've never seen torque values listed for Marlins although they might/probably exist, finger snug will likely suffice. I understand the urge to detail strip a newly acquired firearm but there's no need to resort to extreme gunsmithing while doing so. The screw you broke is probably one of the least turned screws on the rifle. If I was worried about it a drop of purple Loctite would put my mind at ease.

YMMV, Will

Reactions: Macoz

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I almost had to tear it apart it is in excellent shape on outside but inside it was full of debris there were little pieces of bark some blades of grass beats me how it got in there as it looks nib quality

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
go a fraction of a turn past finger tight and call it a day. To have a little piece of mind, you could put a drop of loctite on the screw threads and wait for it to dry before tightening. It will hold plenty good, and be easier to remove at a later date should you yourself gank it up with bark and grass and such:biggrin:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol I still can't figure the bark and grass out maybe from dragging through the brush but the outside is 99% oh well another mystery

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yup been there broke that screw. go finger tight then a tad more. be carful of the loading gate screw as well it snaps easy

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I thought if anyplace would have torque specifications it would be Brownell's Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms. Sorry, no dice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I thought if anyplace would have torque specifications it would be Brownell's Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms. Sorry, no dice.
Maybe Numrich??

-Will-

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered the screw from Brownell they were the only one that had it in stock and showed it was stainless. I never thought of checking with numeric on torque info I will give that a shot. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I apply a drop of Loctite 290 after I snug a screw down. It's a medium holding post assembly wicking threadlocker. Also known as the green stuff.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Lol just ordered a new one 2.99 for the screw 7.95 shipping won't be breaking that $10 screw again
c

I ordered front and rear scope mounting bases from Midsouth Shooters Supply just the other day. Eight dollars for the two bases and $11.00 shipping! I was flabbergasted at the shipping charge for items that may have weighed 3 oz max. It is almost to the point of being criminal anymore!

358 Win

1 - 13 of 13 Posts