Marlin Firearms Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
I was privileged to have a wonderful GSP to hunt over for 7 years. Even as a pup, she was a natural hunter - resisted training - but when I got her out in the field, she would make other dogs look silly. Funny thing was, when hunting with Labs (nothing against them by the way), she would refuse to hunt with them because she learned that as soon as she pointed a bird, the Labs would run over the top of her! Miss that dog. My first hunting dog was a Lab - could swim in swells that would scare an ordinary dog or man - she was kidnapped from me by some non-resident hunters who lured her away ......

I would take a mild tempered GSP anyway. However, my current partner is a small English Springer Spaniel who has the heart and energy to hunt so hard, that an old guy like me can barely keep up. She is a tad bit hard-headed and single-minded at times but is always game to go and a great hunter - so, I forgive her of her defects!

If I started over again - I think I'd take another Springer. . .

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Golden Retrivers and Setters for me. Like their despostions and trainability. I like them to live with me. No kennels for us.
Mine two pooches, aka “the girls”, are part of the family and treated like my children... but “the girls” are usually much happier then the rest of the family to see dad, when getting home from work each night.

·
Super Moderator
11,090 Posts
American Pit Bull Terrier

1) Most powerful jaw pressure for biting trespassers/intruders
2) Very, very strong, for weight ration, good for felling and dragging said trespassers/intruders
3) Determination, they don't give up.
4) Loyalty, while mentioned lin the middle, it's as important as any of the others
5) Intimidation factor, when it's running toward the trespasser/intruder, they are scared to death.
6) It's the most historic American breed.
7) gaurds property and family members .

But I figure you're referring to hunting canines......here ya go......
Please don't spread that around. Pitties have to be trained to be anything other than their nature which is sweet and gentle.
Go ahead and look it up. ZERO mention of pitties biting anyone in the news prior to 1970.
They used to be called the "nanny" dog because they were so goo with families and kids.
The AKC cautions against using pibbles for protection because they are NOT normally aggressive in defense.
It IS possible to train them to guard but it does not come instinctively.
They're mostly talk. Mine raises hell when someone walks down the sidewalk but is more likely to lick 'em to death than bite.
I'm very sensitive to public perception of pibbles as I work to educate people on the breed.
The largest proportion of dogs needing rescue are pibbles - because people have heard the scare stories.
A better, smarter, more loyal family pack member you'd be hard to find. Just exceptional dogs.
But vicious they ain't.

Sprocket1.jpg

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Super Moderator
11,090 Posts
I was privileged to have a wonderful GSP to hunt over for 7 years. Even as a pup, she was a natural hunter - resisted training - but when I got her out in the field, she would make other dogs look silly. Funny thing was, when hunting with Labs (nothing against them by the way), she would refuse to hunt with them because she learned that as soon as she pointed a bird, the Labs would run over the top of her! Miss that dog. My first hunting dog was a Lab - could swim in swells that would scare an ordinary dog or man - she was kidnapped from me by some non-resident hunters who lured her away ......

I would take a mild tempered GSP anyway. However, my current partner is a small English Springer Spaniel who has the heart and energy to hunt so hard, that an old guy like me can barely keep up. She is a tad bit hard-headed and single-minded at times but is always game to go and a great hunter - so, I forgive her of her defects!

If I started over again - I think I'd take another Springer. . .
Yep - all my uncle had for us to hunt birds were GSP.
Fine fine dogs and really good at their jobs.

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
460 Posts
the AKC lists the german wirehaired pointer breed but as you read the description it says GWP is the german translation from deutsch-drahthaar, isn't a GWP the same as a drahthaar ?

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
We mostly had English Setters, my dad was convinced they were the best Grouse dogs. We had some really good dogs and the old man had a bundle wrapped up in them. Some breeders were always trying to get him to try/ buy other breeds. He did buy a Irish Setter of gun dog line and it was wonderful grouser. He bought his last dog a Black Lab. Good dog but not the grouse dog the setters were. Almost any bird dog will do on pheasant, grouse is a bird of a different color. We had GSH, Britany on approval several times. Now there aren’t enough birds around to keep dogs.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
1) Yes, the GSPs are as natural as you could want - they hunt out of the box, generally retrieve naturally, and are great pets after age 3. Idiot proof, which is why I've stuck with them for 20 yrs. I wouldn't go wrong with another. I'm partial to the livery roan kind, females, and on the small side. Very healthy too. My last one lived to 16.

2) Britts - Yes, definitely an option. I have a friend who breeds dogs from NLB and Maverick lines. Very good dogs. Small to medium-sized which helps with heat. Friendly dogs, but...the shedding...is it an issue? I'd say, based of my friend's truck, that it is. :)
3) Wires/DD - lots of fun threads on the differences on versatiledogs.com - In short, DDs are from a long-established German breeding program with lots of oversight and regulations. It sounds restrictive, and it is, but the result is a very consistent dog. A GWP is any dog that isn't 100% a product of this breeding program. Lots of GWP breeders use DDs in their breeding program, but also use other proven GWPs from outside the program. Same breed, different standards. Both produce great dogs, but ALL GWP breeders benefit from the stringent standards of the German system, either historically or currently.
4) Nobody runs pointers? :)
5) Vizslas?

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
When I was young I hunted quail with my uncle he had 2 GSH 1 male 1 female both were great dogs. We went one day & it was tuff lots of wind birds were tight both came down on point, Bud was closest he kicked a little bush out came a rabbit, he was going to beat the dogs but they were still locked up he kicked again out came birds. the female retrived the two we got, duke was gone Bud called whistled nada. I keep telling I saw duke about a 1/4 mi away on point, we argued over it so I up & took off for Duke, yep I was right he held point for over 1/2 hr about 20 birds we each got 2.No I did let him forget for a long time.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts