Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new 1895 Coboy rifle in 45-70:biggrin: and was planning on using a boresnake with CLP Break-Free to break in the barrel. I bought this gun on NIB through this forum from hotrod67 (Thank you Chuck) (Pre Remi 2003 manufacture date by the serial number JM stamped) I have used this method with other barrels and was just wondering if there is a better method for this barrel. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...........................

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
Im very interested in the answer to this question also. I say just shoot a couple boxes jacketed through it ? I have a never fired 1895STBL and was wondering about it....Thanks for posting

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Enjoy your new 1895 Cowboy. I never grow tired of shooting my CB, it is probably my favorite rifle.

Reactions: dbar

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
I figured it out ! Twist the throttle and go like hell ! Just change the oil often...lol. Thats what I do with a new motorcycle , should work here too ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I never knew I was "supposed" to break in a barrel until I got the internet. :)
That was me also. Though for many years I never had the money to buy a new gun......LOL Even when I bought my first new gun I shot a few boxes through her and noticed that all of a sudden she seemed to group a lot better, not that she wasn't grouping before..:D I have never gone to the measures that I've read on the internet, only shoot a box and clean and then shoot another box and clean. Generally after the second box and some fouling rounds they really group about as good as they ever will, if you do your job right on the trigger.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks for all the input. I still think I will break the barrel in a bit with the Boresnake and Break-Free but I wont make it a big deal.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
i have herd a lot about barrel break in ,i tried it on a new bolt gun then just shot a different one i did not see much of a difference it might make a difference with a competition gun but i cant see one with a sporter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts