Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a question for you. I have just got my first brand new rifle and it requires a break in. Some stuff I have read said I need to clean the barrel every 3 shoots for the first 15-21 shots and then every 10 there after and will require 250 rounds to be "broken in" and some say because it's a 22 it only needs the initial clean and because the rounds do not have a copper jacket that only after 20-40 rounds it is considered "broken in".

Can I break it in with subsonic rounds?

What do you guys think?

Also would you change the stock and mount the scope before or after you break your rifle in?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm not sure an XT-22 needs a formal break-in. I could be way wrong. Mine does shoot better with a seasoned barrel.

My XT-22 is finicky about HV bulk ammo. I would use subsonic ammo for the initial sight-in. This should give you a good idea what the rifle is capable of.

Here is a picture of my XT-22.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm not sure there is much to be gained with any sort of special break-in process for your XT-22. A good initial inspection and cleaning of the rifle with some light gun oil as recommended in the manual will get you on the road to enjoying your new rifle.

When I bought my XT-22 MV, I pulled the stock off, gave the barrel a good cleaning and oiling, wiped down the metal parts with Birchwood Casey's "Barricade" oil, cleaned and oiled the bolt assembly and trigger group and put a couple coats of wax on the wooden stock. Then I went shooting and tried out numerous brands of ammo to find what the rifle shoots best. Here are a few pics.

100 YD grouping.

Clean it and go enjoy it!

John

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Run a rod thru the gun with cleaner to remove any factory crap and then a patch with oil. Go out and shoot it and see how it does. If it shoots good then you probably don't need to break it in and will know it needs cleaning when the groups open up. If it doesn't shoot good from the start then try a break in procedure.
Some guns need break in and some don't, IMO 22's are good from the start and really don't need to be cleaned until they start shooting bad. I can guarantee you that more good bores have been ruined from over cleaning after every use, or by people trying to run rods thru in a break in procedure than have ever been shot out.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
No break in for a rimfire, centerfire a big "maybe".

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
In my hasty answer I forgot to mention that it might be wise to try some different ammo before you decide that you need to do a break in procedure. When doing so try to stay with similar velocity and bullet designs. Get a group of buddies out and have them bring some different ammo to try out, but make sure that they bring your brand of beer though! It's always a journey with a new gun, and your thread caught my eye since I have a brand new xt-17 that I need to do the same thing with:tee:

·
Registered
37 Posts
With mine when I got it I started with a real good cleaning. It was REAL cruddy!!!! I shot 3-4 rounds, and did another full cleaning. It was also real bad. Im guessing the heat, and vibrations loosened things up. After that Ive just shot and cleaned when I was done. It shoots better then I do, so I must be doing something right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I never heard of a break in period - but am kinda new to rifle's. When I brought my XT22 TSR home did a field strip - good barrel cleaning with hoppes , then again with Breakfree CLP. Sprayed some Rem oil into the action parts and then blew everything out with duster. Also did a little dremel work on the bolt handle cutout ( factory left a little extra metal ) polished that out , cleaned the receiver out and treated with CLP. Then cleaned off the factory grease coating off the bolt. Sprayed in a little remoil into the firing pin . extractor and blew them out with duster. Then coated the bolt with CLP and let it sit for 30 mins. removed excess. Then finally gun grease rubbed into the bolt cutout. Re assembled - treated all external surfaces with a hoppes silicone cloth. Ran 30 rounds though it ( low fps ) , recleaned the receiver,bolt and barrel.

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Benchrest shooting
recently been trying out enhancing the grip areas with a little tacky spray paint. Jury still out on if that is worth it or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to be into nitro R/C motors which do have a necessary and somewhat agreed upon break-in procedure. I was worried there would be something similar with my XT22, my first firearm, when I bought it. Following my gun nut landlord's advice, I took my XT22 out of the box, and began shooting the box. Several thousand rounds later, no problems.

In hindsight, especially with purported Remlin quality problems, it would have be judicious to check for loose fasteners and any pieces of material left over from machining, but it seems to have not been necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, I don't really have anyone local that I can talk guns with and I did not believe my "she'll be right" mate that said." Just go nuts and the factory grease will burn off." The first thing I'll do when I get her home is go over the rifle with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything is clean, dag free, lubed and tight.

I think I'll fire a few rounds and clean, then just fire a box off and clean again.

I have a Boyds thumbhole stock on order, a Nikon prostaff 3-9x50 NP scope and dingo leather gun strap that I plan to install. I'll post some pic as ASAP.

Gotta love Australian gun laws.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not to drag it further off topic, but the fact that one must provide a "Genuine Reason" to purchase a firearm in Australia has always gotten me. Especially for a manually operated rimfire rifle.

The fact that (prohibited persons notwithstanding) everyone deserves to experience the joy of shooting and owning a bolt action rimfire (or any firearm) is a Genuine Reason!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased the XT-22tr and found that mine likes the 40gr. Rimington Thunderbolts and the CCI ammo best with the Federal "Match" and Winchester were not good at all! Much tighter groups and you cold actually hear the difference in the report on the Federal and Winchester ammo. Mine xt22tr shot great from the first day one but with the right ammo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.