Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed a 600-round break-in of the Kimber Eclipse Ultra II. This is an all-steel 1911 with a 3" barrel and a brushed stainless steel finish. It's my second Kimber, but I didn't keep the first one very long. The current pistol is for EDC.

The break-in period consisted of 4 visits to the range with decent quality factory loaded 230gr. ball ammo. The first hundred rounds or so were so-so, with about six failure-to-feed (FTF) problems. These were commonly cleared simply by racking the slide. Again, this USUALLY resulted in the round going into battery, but on occasion I had to hold the slide back while I dropped the magazine and repositioned the next round. It went into battery every time after that. This problem became less and less frequent with more rounds fired.

I never had a failure to eject or a stovepipe. Not once. The ejections were forceful and the brass was thrown well clear of me and the pistol.

Following 600 rounds of ball ammo, I bought 40 rounds of Remington Ultimate Defense 230gr. JHP and headed to the range. This ammo performed beautifully. I experienced four FTFs, three of which cleared with one rack of the slide. Of note: I came to the conclusion the the FTFs were the result of my failure to adequately grip the pistol, aka "limpwristing." Each and every time that I focused on a strong grip, I never had a FTF. I'm convinced that this pistol, possibly due to its compact design, possibly due to the extremely tight manufacturing tolerances, possibly due to it being a 1911, is prone to FTFs if you're not gripping it really well. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. I've read about it and you probably have, too.

The other thing I discovered I was doing wrong, which I feel was the result of the early FTFs, was not seating the magazine sufficiently. I would insert the magazine and push it in to position until I heard a click. Not good enough. You got to give the mag a nice, forceful slap to seat it properly, which puts the top round in position for loading into battery. I got into the bad habit of pushing the magazine up back in the 80s when I had a Smith & Wesson 9. I remember reading that slapping the magazine into position could cause the top of the magazine to bend, resulting in the round not feeding into battery. I dunno about that Smith, but you better get rough with the Kimber.

Accuracy? I saved the best for last. This Kimber is like my first one. This has GOT to be the most accurate 1911 out of the box that's in production. I mean, you can drive nails with it. Enough said.

I carry this gun every day as a civilian. It's very concealable in a Fobus holster under a loose-fitting shirt. I have total confidence in it. DSC_0196.JPG

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Great writeup!!
But no targets? Kidding man!!

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
I've got a Kimber custom that has never failed to feed or eject,shoots every thing it's fed and wants more.
I think the full sized 1911s are less picky,just mtcw...

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I've got the 4" predecessor to your pistol, like yours, mine runs 100% I had some issues early on with misfeeds, but once I replaced all my tired and abused mags with Chip McCormick PowerMags, I've not had a problem since. The build quality and accuracy of mine puts the Springfield and Colt 1911's I had prior to shame.

I bought mine in 2001, I think, and our honeymoon still continues... I actually went in to get the Ultra, but my brother talked me into getting the Pro (full-sized frame, 4" barrel, ) and I'm glad he did. $989... money well spent. I don't carry it as much anymore... it's difficult to hide it on my skinny self, but it would be my go-to gun otherwise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
nice looking baby you got there. love them kimbers:marchmellow:i have the target eclipse 5'' after the break in peroid, it shoots flawlessly and accuracy is on the mark . i shoot lead cast 200gr swc with out any issues. enjoy!! be safe and shoot stright:)

·
Premium Member
16,801 Posts
Hey 57,

Some pocket rocket!

Glad you are getting some range time. (if spring would ever get here) LOL

Later, Mark

Reactions: 57 Texan
1 - 7 of 7 Posts