Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, picked up 150 30-06 brass, mixed head stamps but mostly remington. Was somewhat clean just dull, so I figured ill just throw em in the tumbler when I get home. Started with corncob and it wouldn't touch it. Switched out corncob for walnut media and after 6 hours in the tumbler, it's a little shinier (yes I'm one of those "like my brass to look like new" guys) but not even CLOSE to looking new like the .35 I did this week. Just for the hell of it I took a case and wiped it down with brasso (no I'm not using brasso I was just curious) and the case looks brand spankin new. Any suggestions? Oh, by the wat I added nu-finish about an hour ago, no noticeable difference.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had the same thing happen a couple days ago. I had about 100 308 cases I picked up at the range. Most were muddy or in snow. They came out of my corncob media clean, but very dull. I think it was the mud because the color is different from any brass I have.

·
Registered
504 Posts
so use brasso. there is no way the ammonia will remove any more copper than acid will remove zinc. and folks use acid to clean brass, to much internet approval.

I have been using brasso in my tumbler for years, and have no brass issues (except for one particular batch of 38 spl, 1/2 cracked on the 2nd or 3rd load).

people overthink the brasso thing.

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
Naw - get some citric acid, add about a tablespoon to a quart of hot water with a squirt of detergent.
After a few minutes all that surface oxides will be gone. It's even good for the brass - does something similar to Parkerizing it.
THEN put it in the tumbler.

·
Super Moderator
5,372 Posts
lemi-shine

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, thanks for the great replies...I think I'll try each one actually. I just tried never-dull as well and that too removes the oxidation..quick question....I have some pieces that have some black staining up at the case mouths. Are these ok to reload? Sorry for all the questions, I am brand new to reloading and this is a great place.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually that would be a negative. I can feel the step from the black "stain" to where the brass starts with my fingernail. Nope, not worth the chance for me.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I use the stainless pin tumbler and everything comes out shiny!!! its easier to check over cases with nothing in the way...

Doc

·
Registered
994 Posts
By the way I always use brasso and it was in this batch that came out dull. I think my problem is I need to buy new media.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I use the stainless pin tumbler and everything comes out shiny!!! its easier to check over cases with nothing in the way...

Doc
Using the stainless pins do you ever have to recondition them? I was thinking the stuff that comes off the brass has to go somewhere.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The stuff that comes off the brass is usually just dissolved in the citric acid solution, so it washes down the drain.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The stuff that comes off the brass is usually just dissolved in the citric acid solution, so it washes down the drain.
Excuse my ignorance about using the pins, but I have never known anyone that uses them. So what you're saying is you have to use a citric acid solution with the pins, then rinse them off?

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I used to put dirt brass in a pillow case and wash in the washing machine in hot water with bleach. I tumbled them in corn cob media with a little car wax and rubbing alcahol.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I add a dab of Lyman Tubro Brite to my media...I use to use Lyman media; even used some of that red stuff that already has polish added to it...made the mistake of adding some of the Tubro Brite...all it did was to gunk up everything! After I used up my last batch of Lyman media I bought some Zilla ground up English walnut hulls...stuff is very fine and works great..cheap too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Excuse my ignorance about using the pins, but I have never known anyone that uses them. So what you're saying is you have to use a citric acid solution with the pins, then rinse them off?
You add a bit of dishsoap and Lemi-shine to the water and pins. As stated before, the crud fom the cases is suspended in the water, the pins last forever, except the ones that disappear.
Pins are magnetic, so if you do spill some, they are easy to pick up.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I use dawn dish soap and lemishine (available at wallyworld, citric acid stuff) and EVERYTHING comes out shiny.... The pins will last forever, you will loose some here and there but not really enough to matter and if you do then you can get a 1# bag to add back. I cant imagine not having my stainless pin tumbler... I really hated dull brass (yes I am very OCD!!) but now the worst range brass you can find turns out looking like new brass when finished.

Doc

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yup, lemishine, or straight citric acid from the canning section of the grocery store or the cleaning section of the hardware store is what you want. The pins just help to remove any dirt and grime that is really stuck on there and they'll help to clean the inside of the case as well. Like Doc Holiday said, they never wear down and your only problem is losing a few here and there. Just make sure they're stainless steel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts