Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some brass yesterday at a private range (rich folk only), I was invited, not that I'm rich, by a long shot. Only pickup in the parking lot. Anyway, I got home and started to inspect the brass and found some with a concentric ring (or slight indention) about .597 inches down on the casing. Can anyone make me smart about this? Is the brass still ok for reloading given it has no other defects? Is it in its self a defect? Thanks. BTW it is 45-70 and the head mark is W-W/

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Sounds like a cannelure pressed into the case to keep the bullet from moving back under recoil.
No issue. Reload, shoot, smile. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DrMike. That is a relief as about 20 of the 81 I picked up had this anomaly. Just didn't want to go out with a bad reload as I am only 71 and still enough time to burn a lot more powder.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Its common to find that in a lot of older and even a couple of newer brass manufacturers use that methed. CBC 45colt brass from magtech is that way. Its fine to reload it. Its the old balloon head brass that you want to stay away from. Really old Winchester calibers. But im talking old like...early 1900's and older.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts