Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have 55 pieces of new Priv 7x65R brass that I don't need in this cartridge. It looks to me that this brass could be trimmed and fire formed to make 444M brass. Just curious if someone has done this and how it worked out. The rim is a shade bigger on this 7mm brass that the 444M rim but I have access to lathe so not a big deal.

thanks

BB

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Aside from other dimensional issues, the one that would be the show-stopper for me: The base of the case body is about 0.020" too wide for .444 Marlin use. You'd have to swage or turn it down, to be able to chamber the cases.
Swaging work-hardens the brass and may deform primer pockets; and removing 0.010" worth of wall thickness wouldn't give me warm fuzzies.

I'd rather start with '06 brass and epoxy a rim onto the cases, than turn or swage the case body.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Aside from other dimensional issues, the one that would be the show-stopper for me: The base of the case body is about 0.020" too wide for .444 Marlin use. You'd have to swage or turn it down, to be able to chamber the cases.
Swaging work-hardens the brass and may deform primer pockets; and removing 0.010" worth of wall thickness wouldn't give me warm fuzzies.

I'd rather start with '06 brass and epoxy a rim onto the cases, than turn or swage the case body.
FM,

The cartridge drawings I have show the casehead of the 7x65r at .468" & the 444M Marliin at .470". I will get out my calipers and check or better yet I will just chamber an empty 7x65r in my 444M single shot to verify it will go. My single shot has an enlarged rim cut & modified extractor (for shooting 410-44 overbore slugs) so the rim diameter shouldn't be a problem.

Okay, just checked an brand a new, unsized 7x65r brass will chambered in my 444M single shot. I will trim one of these down a bit and go the cream of wheat/unique FF route and see what I get.

BB

Reactions: GaCop and dpe.ahoy

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Sounds interesting, keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Awe, man.... I misread the original post. My brain turned "7x65R" into "7.62x54R". Sorry.

I blame the guy that kept calling 7.62x54R "7.65 Russian" and abbreviating it as "7.65R" on another forum, all last week. ("Because that's the true bore diameter" was his excuse.)

Reactions: bikerbean

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awe, man.... I misread the original post. My brain turned "7x65R" into "7.62x54R". Sorry.

I blame the guy that kept calling 7.62x54R "7.65 Russian" and abbreviating it as "7.65R" on another forum, all last week. ("Because that's the true bore diameter" was his excuse.)
FM,

No problem, I misread stuff more often than I want to admit, which is one of the reasons I post stuff like this to get other folks take on it. FWIW, I should have posted about a wildcat chamber I just cut and then maybe I wouldn't be looking at neck turning a bunch of 375 H&H brass.:vollkommenauf:

Is that you flyin' that chopper?

BB

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
I would check case volume compared to factory .444 when you finish the brass. If I recall 7X65R is a pretty potent round and the brass may be heftier affecting case volume and pressures with a like load. AC

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Is that you flyin' that chopper?

BB
Nope. I just kept them in the air, as best I could.
We let the people with college diplomas crash them. Err... I mean, "fly" them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm still on the edge of my seat. Hey Bikerbean, what happened. Were you able to turn the 7x65r brass into a candidate for 444m conversion?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts