Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I’ve decided to get a 30-30 336 and I have one last question about my previous post here:
http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=10779

I had planned on using new Winchester brass for my handloading. But, I can get a bunch of once fired 30-30 for about 1/3 of the price. The only thing is it's mixed brass. For a gun like this, how much does it matter? For my bolt guns, I use WW for 223 and Lapua for 308 and different brass gives me WAY different results in those guns.

But is it as important for this type of reloading?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Marlins can be quite accurate but they are in no way a precision rifle (okay, flame on....) If you are really trying to shoot for accuracy or using the loaded rounds for hunting, where it really counts, I'd spring for the new brass. Otherwise, the once fired stuff is okay for the range. I have a bucket full of brass that people have been giving me in 30/30. When I load up 10 or 20 or whatever, I do try to segregate out the cases with the same headstamp. Also, I would definately trim them all to a uniform length which will make loading much easier. 30/30 cases, in my experience, stretch quite a bit and need trimming regularly. It would be especially important if you were using cases fired out of a variety of rifles with different chamber dimensions however slight.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Short answer: I don't think it matters to any practical degree.

Long answer: I pick up once-fired 30-30 brass at the local range. Lots of folks who don't reload shoot a whole box at one session and just leave leave the brass. I clean, full-length re-size, trim as needed, and sort by brand. From that point I keep it together in batches of 40 - 50 cases each so I can keep track of how many times I reload it, etc. For all practical purposes I have a continuous supply of once-fired 30-30 brass. The same would be true of .223 and 9 mm if I reloaded for those calibers.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have been shooting mixed brass for 20+ years. If you are not trying to max everything out you should have no problems

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would recommend that you segragate the brass by brand and work up your loads with one of the brands and use them until they wear out and then work up loads for another brand. It doesn't take that long to work up a load and is much safer. It also will enhance accuracy over mixing brass in the same load.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't think it matters a whole lot for general shooting and hunting. If you are going to precision shooting it might make a difference to use the same brand of brass. I’ve never ever noticed a difference between mixed brass and same brand brass. I would just make to clean, inspect, full length resize, inspect again, and trim brass before using it. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts