Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for quite a while and still do not see any hint (in utah) of 444 brass becoming available at local outlets.
Has any body had any luck with this in the last while???

ALso, a few times I've wondered if I should buy some 444 ftx ammo. and just use the brass. But in my 45-70, the ftx brass is actually not as long as regular brass and something tells me that unless I reload using FTX bullets (I do not, I use 310 grain gas checks)..I probably should hold out for regular brass.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
puke,

As long as a person "works up" their loads there is no reason that the FTX brass would work, PROVIDING your dies will adjust down far enough to flair, sea,t and crimp.

Hornady really had their head in the sand to market non standard brass in the .444 and 45/70.

STUPID!!!!!!!!!!! to the max!

However, just to see if it could be done and not having a .444 or dies, I did load a standard .444 case with a cast .44 bullet, using my .44 mag dies.

So, unless you have a real fat chamber, I'd guess that at least in the short term, you could load gummy nose/burger on the hoof brass with .44 mag dies if you happen to have a set.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
Have lots of brass on hand, including "Remington brand" 444 Marlin. Nothing is really magical about anything other than making your handloads fit your rifle. Period. There are many ways to get to that end. CDOC has outlined one very effective method just off the mainstream. A method I have used for many cartridges where I didn't have the "correct set". IF the brass is a touch short, it can leave some "stuff" just short of the chamber mouth that will need occasional cleaning - similar to shooting 44SPL's in a 44Mag. Not Earth-shattering. IF your 444 seating die won't crimp, grind a little off the bottom of the seating die, until the crimp will do its thing. It won't affect standard length brass at all. Same with your flaring die.

You may have to go to "the little guys" to find some brass, but Cabelas in Lehigh, Ut have always had any brass I was looking for, but then again, I don't wait until I need brass to be watching for it. It's a full time occupation. If I'm out shopping, I'm watching for availability.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Bit funny, I just walked through the door with a set of RCBS .444 dies just minutes ago.

Don't even have a .444, although a son does.

Just out helping a friend set up his loading set up and he had a set of those dies and no .444, so I now have them.

Come on down Puke, lets try these dies out!!!!!!!!!!

They are dated "78" and appear to be used VERY LITTLE if any.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yep, Likely have everything here needed to make a .444 go !BANG!

Son has been seating my .44 cast bullets deep and apparently getting some respectable groups at 100yds. with his .444.

:hmmmm: Probably some kind of powder here that would work. :hmmmm:

Thinking really hard about SOON ordering another bullet mold - 260 - 280gr - and something that is good for the Marlin .444 but will also shoot in the .44 handguns.

HELP ME! HEEEEEELP if someone doesn't stop me I might even buy a .444 or maybe another Marlin .44 :biggrin:.

Crazy Ol'Coot! :flute:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already have a couple sets of 44 mag dies and also a set of 444 dies. (about the only caliber i have that I don't have at least two sets of.).
As far as the brass being a touch short......In my 45-70, the FTX brass is more than just a TOUCH short. First time I attempted handloads in it with seating to the groove,..I found out that I could not compress the powder enough to even seat the bullet at the groove...
So...since then I've been a little leary about FTX brass....the main reason being FTX bullets, added to primers and powder,...start to get expensive and probably do not perform near as well as heavy gas checks. (Although I must admit the tin can's I shoot won't know the difference).
I will admit with no qualms whatsoever that if FTX bullets were no more expensive than GC's., I would just buy the rounds and reuse the brass.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
With brass being in short supply, I've resorted to occasionally buying a box of Remington 240gr ammo just to have the brass for loading. Academy Sports is the cheapest for Remington 444 ammo in my area.

·
Registered
241 Posts
puke,

As long as a person "works up" their loads there is no reason that the FTX brass would work, PRIVIDING your dies will adjust down far enough to flair, seat and crimp.

Hornady really had their head in the sand to market non standard brass in the .444 and 45/70.

STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Actually, making the consumer more dependent on their product and less self reliant is actual quite smart on their part from a business standpoint, It just isn't well received by all....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, being a straight walled case, (OTHER THAN USING MY CHRONY AND GUAGING BURN RATES) "working up" a load is not all it's cracked up to be. Better than not, of course, but still....read Linebaugh's writings on straight walled cases and pressure signs. He said they've blown up many guns on purpose and there was little or no correlation between pressure "signs" and pressure. I believe he refers to straight walled cases only.
One of these days a pressure transducer will become available at something we can all afford and I'll get one of those.

I have a few boxes federal 240s, but really don't feel like I have enough...and I"ve noticed that the federals (around here) are usually harder to find than the FTXs. THose FTXs are real good rounds, but for reloaders,...there is almost no point unless you are willing to spend some time doing some guessing.....WHICH TURNED OUT BEING VERY IRRITATING IN MY 45-70.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Pretty well said Kevin!

When I was in a local sporting goods and found that the Hornady FTX was way cheaper then other available 45/70 ammo I Hmmmmmmm:hmmmm: :hmmmm: wondered.

Didn't check out .444 - FTX ammo - but I'd guess the pricing was the same type of thing

There is no way that Hornady's cost of production is that much lower then that of the other companies, so it is clearly an attempt to gain market share.

Having seen the high level of meat destruction caused by the gummy nose/burger on the hoof bullet, and then coupling it with non-standard brass, I really must wonder just how deep into the sand their head was.

And this from a normally good company from which I have bought and will continue to buy.

Just not anything "FTX"

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 30-30 ftx round has always impressed me...Or at least it got my attention bigtime in the beginning.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
If you have Hornady dies, the shorter FTX brass is not an issue. I load standard length brass and the Hornady "shorties" all the time. :top:

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
As far as working up loads in straight walled cases and I have read John Linebaugh. Might have been different 40 years ago, but today it doesn't take a pressure transducer or a Chrony (which I do have) to tell me 'nuff already. I'm a bit recoil sensitive and the recoil that comes from one of these lever gun when they anywhere near top pressures is more than I care for. The rifles will tolerate more abuse than I will.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have been waiting for quite a while and still do not see any hint (in utah) of 444 brass becoming available at local outlets.
Has any body had any luck with this in the last while???

ALso, a few times I've wondered if I should buy some 444 ftx ammo. and just use the brass. But in my 45-70, the ftx brass is actually not as long as regular brass and something tells me that unless I reload using FTX bullets (I do not, I use 310 grain gas checks)..I probably should hold out for regular brass.

Order some BeartoothBullets 405's and load them in your short brass. The dies will work fine and you splatter many water jugs:biggrin::biggrin: About 26 grains og H 4198 will be pleasant and enough power for anything unlucky enough to fill the cross hairs!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts