Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

Howdy! New to this site and am a new (and very Proud) owner of the Marlin 45.70 (1895 XLR)

I have been having a ton of fun "plinking" with my new baby... but wasn't really impressed with the standard Iron Sights that are presently on the gun. I noticed that I had to adjust the sight WAAAAAAY over to the left to keep me on paper at 100 yards. (Plus it seems that they are kinda loose... and could move around easy.) Also... I thought I should tell you that I don't want to go with a scope... I want to stay with Iron Sights.

So... I have been looking at different sights on line... and was curious of anybody had any suggestion on a high-end receiver sight... Lots of choices out there... but I'd love to hear what you gurus have to say about the subject! ;)

Respectfully

Donnie
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

Donnie said:
Howdy! New to this site and am a new (and very Proud) owner of the Marlin 45.70 (1895 XLR)

I have been having a ton of fun "plinking" with my new baby... but wasn't really impressed with the standard Iron Sights that are presently on the gun. I noticed that I had to adjust the sight WAAAAAAY over to the left to keep me on paper at 100 yards. (Plus it seems that they are kinda loose... and could move around easy.) Also... I thought I should tell you that I don't want to go with a scope... I want to stay with Iron Sights.

So... I have been looking at different sights on line... and was curious of anybody had any suggestion on a high-end receiver sight... Lots of choices out there... but I'd love to hear what you gurus have to say about the subject! ;)

Respectfully

Donnie
There has been lots written about receiver sights here, and a "peep sight" search will bring up lots of hits of prior discussions. I have to say from my experience, if you want a rugged sight, and wont need the precise click stop adjustment, a Skinner is a great way to go. A Williams might be okay and does make it easier to adjust, but perhaps isn't as robust in the ability to take punishment or abuse like a Skinner or similar. Some uses a tang sight might be best, but for me a good solidly mounted receiver sight is really hard to beat, way better than factory irons IMHO!
Welcome to the group! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

For a pretty inexpensive (under $20.00) but excellent sight check out the Bullseye Sight at Marbles. I have one on a Marlin 1893 and another on a Win 92.

http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

You can get them at most online companies like Midway and Brownells. Unfortunately they are on backorder most places due to Marbles moving buildings or something. The last I checked Brownells still has some short ones for carbines. I have 2 of the long ones for rifles on backorder. Supposed to be in later this month. They dont have the sight radius of a receiver or tang sight but for up to 200yds or so they work very well for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

Several great otions out there.

Skinner sights is a site contributer and from all acounts an excellent product. (I have no personal experience with them)

XS Sights are about as tough as they come, easy enough to adjust and my personal favorite Peep sight.

Williams makes a few different models of peep sights for the marlin guns. They are probably the most adjustable, and one of the oldest and more proven designs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

And don't forget to check out the Lyman series of peep sights both tang and receiver. I had a Lyman receiver peep sight that I liked because of the click adjustment for elevation and windage.
 

·
Contributing Member
Joined
·
11,645 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

Welcome to MO.

You mentioned "high end" sights and for that I would say look at Jim Brockman's offerings. Grizzly Custom Guns (you can find them in the Industry Partners section of the forum) also modifies LPA shotgun sights for Marlins but I believe you need to send them your rifle.

From there you have, as mentioned, a LOT of options. Among them are:

- Skinner (several models, excellent quality and great service)
- XS
- Wild West Guns (also in the Industry Partner section)
- Williams

I am a big fan of the Williams FP and own several.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

Howdy back atcha!!

Welcome to the MO! Great bunch of guys and gals here that CAN answer everything you need to know.
As the others have said, the Skinner sights are very well made. The man that builds 'em is a shooter and a very gifted machinist! For the price, I don't know how he sells what he does and make a big profit. Great stuff.

I'm still using open sights with a Millett 100 series white outline rear sight in the factory dovetail. Had a Millett front orange blade sight, but it was lost in the shop when the grandkids were there so I'm using the factory bead polished real bright.

Almost all the receiver sights offered by Lyman and Williams are fine. But if I were to go for a peep sight, I'd go with the Skinner sight. Just one heck of a well built piece of equipment.

Again, welcome to the MO and to the .45-70 part of the forum.

Wade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

I like the XS sights but the other mentioned on here get good reports too. Take some time to look at different reviews in the net to see what others are saying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

Sorry it took so long to reply... I travel a lot so I cant get back to my posts as often as I would like.

Thank you so much for your replies! I will be taking a good look at the different sights that have been mentioned. I look forward to playing with this beast, and learning more!

Thanks again guys!!! ;D

Donnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,306 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

Hi and welcome to the site from Bundaberg, Australia. My mate uses the Skinner receiver peep and seems to be quite happy with the aquisition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

XS sights all the way! Install, sight in, done! I'm using the .150 apeture now and it's perfect!

I had skinner before, was okay but prefer XS! Skinner had really sharp edges, had to try several different front sights and had to file, big pain in the a**.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

ebusa said:
XS sights all the way! Install, sight in, done! I'm using the .150 apeture now and it's perfect!

I had skinner before, was okay but prefer XS! Skinner had really sharp edges, had to try several different front sights and had to file, big pain in the a**.
Damn... I just ordered a set of Guide Gun sights from Skinner. :'( Looks like I am going to have to throw the package into the trash as soon as it arrives. ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Re: Brand New and was curious about sights........ Also wanted to say "Howdy!"

Windage said:
Damn... I just ordered a set of Guide Gun sights from Skinner. :'( Looks like I am going to have to throw the package into the trash as soon as it arrives. ::)
Good luck sighting in....
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top