Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my second 336 with this kind of issue. My first 336 had been sent back to the factory 3 times due to the lever action jamming in the open position when the tube was loaded with several rounds (at least more than one). I just opened my replacement rifle fresh from the factory and I am experiencing the same issue, but this time the action jams even when the gun is unloaded. The strangest part of it is the action jams only when trying to close the action when slight to moderate pressure is put on the lever towards the left of the gun (this is the natural way I try to cycle the gun). When putting pressure on the lever towards the right, the action is free'ed up and the gun is able to cycle. I can't figure out what is causing this and I'd rather not have to send yet another 336 back to the factory.

All screws are tight and no parts seem to be wiggling or loose (other than the lever). Also, I have cleaned any and all grease and debris out of the action. I don't see any bent or misshapen parts but I am not a gunsmith by any means. I could easily be missing something here. I appreciate any and all help.

-Z

·
Super Moderator
23,921 Posts
Welcome to MO! Have you looked into the receiver area to see if there are any sharp edges or rough areas that might interfere with the bolt and/or lever cycling action?

Reactions: ZedFightsGanon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. I did look into the receiver but I don't know exactly what it is supposed to look like in full working condition. I do not see any sharp edges but I do see slight wear on the upper part of the lever. I also noticed the bolt is pretty tight during disassembly compared to my last 336. Also, when the bolt is open, the lever has some left and right wiggle which is why I noticed the bolt did close with leftward pressure on that lever.

·
Administrator
23,784 Posts
Pull the larger screw on the right side of the action out and see if it quits jamming.

If it does quit jamming take the one on the bottom near the front of the action out and see if it's shorter than the other one from the side.

If so put the short one in the side longer one in the bottom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The screw on the side of the action is so tight I cannot get it out. I've unscrewed it about 50 times over by now. I've tried pliers and I've tried levering it out with a screwdriver, but I can't get the thing to come out. I don't want to hurt the thing but I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So you can get the screw to turn but can't get it all the way out?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,687 Posts
ZFG,

Aside from remington ramming screws into mis-alinged holes, they probably don't set the carrier heights correctly.

I think your carrier is catching under the follower. That would indicate the carrier needs to be bent in the middle so the front doesn't dive under the carrier.

Test it: Remove the Magazine spring and follower, and cycle the rifle...........I bet it will cycle fine. If it does, PM me and I'll explain how to bend the carrier to cure the problem.

Another possible cause to you problem is tha follower may be able to sit too deep in the receiver..........

Test it: Remove the mag tube and position the follower in the front of the receiver. While hold the follower in position, cycle the rifle. If it jams, the seat in the receiver was counterbored too deep. To correct this you'll need to carefully shave material off the front edges of the Follower. The shoulder on the Follower sits .519 from the front end........shave only enough material so the carrier will not catch . The MUST rub the front of the follower so it is supported on the last shot loading.....

PM me if you have questions

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is correct, the screw turns but does not pull out of the receiver.

Tomray, I have a hunch you're right. I'll get to testing that and let you know.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Pull the larger screw on the right side of the action out and see if it quits jamming.

If it does quit jamming take the one on the bottom near the front of the action out and see if it's shorter than the other one from the side.

If so put the short one in the side longer one in the bottom.
Now,:flute: how did you know that????

·
Administrator
23,784 Posts
Now,:flute: how did you know that????

A common happening when folks do a complete tear down, thus far I've not done it. Learned of it here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just to update, I still can't figure out what is causing this. I called Marlin (Remington) and they said it sounds really strange as well. They want me to ship it back to them and they are again considering giving me a new 336. This will be the fourth time I send a rifle back, frustratingly. They did however tell me that I can trade the 336 for a different model if I pay the difference or if it is of lesser value, which I am considering.

·
Super Moderator
23,921 Posts
I am sorry to hear that--hopefully they will make things right by you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts