Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this gem at my local gun store! Bran new 1978 golden 39a, in the box! I was told the shop owner got a call that a well off guy had a huge collection of rifles that he just collected, but never shot. This was the last one the shop owner had..it is new unfired, with all the original paperwork, warranty card, plastic, rail mount for scope, etc. It has never been taken apart. I had a hard time separating it, due to the 44 year old grease had dried up and stuck to the pieces together. I already have a golden 39a, but could not pass this up...I set out to find a marlin mountie or a 39 tds(still want) so I took it apart and cleaned the dried grease out. I never get lucky finding guns like this...so 8 will continue to look for a tds and mountie, really want a tds version! Maybe I'll use one of my 39a as trade!
Paint Art Font Electric blue Scissors

Font Wood Gas Electric blue Space

Rectangle Wood Font Tints and shades Automotive lighting
Revolver Wood Eyewear Font Water
Paint Art Font Electric blue Scissors
Font Wood Gas Electric blue Space
Rectangle Wood Font Tints and shades Automotive lighting

Revolver Wood Eyewear Font Water

·
Super Moderator
7,537 Posts
Congrats on a very nice rifle!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Oh man! What a gem! There’s no way I could leave it unfired!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh man! What a gem! There’s no way I could leave it unfired!
Ya I know! Just kinda fell into it..I want a 39A TDS, the 16 in short barrel version, and found this. I already have a 1968 39a. Could not pass it up. If I find the TDS model, I would trade or sell one of the 39a models. Tough though choosing from the 1968 or the 1978. Just couldn't believe it's unfired with the box. I had to peel off the sticker on the back of the stock, it was all dried out and not salvageable.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Ya I know! Just kinda fell into it..I want a 39A TDS, the 16 in short barrel version, and found this. I already have a 1968 39a. Could not pass it up. If I find the TDS model, I would trade or sell one of the 39a models. Tough though choosing from the 1968 or the 1978. Just couldn't believe it's unfired with the box. I had to peel off the sticker on the back of the stock, it was all dried out and not salvageable.
I have a sun total of 1 model 39. It’s a 1973 33M in extra nice condition. My dad knew I wanted one and ran upon it at a yard sale where a guy was selling some of his father-in-law’s old 22s. Daddy asked him what he wanted for it and the feller said, “Two and a quarter.”

It was my Christmas present that year.

Reactions: Jeepnut

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a sun total of 1 model 39. It’s a 1973 33M in extra nice condition. My dad knew I wanted one and ran upon it at a yard sale where a guy was selling some of his father-in-law’s old 22s. Daddy asked him what he wanted for it and the feller said, “Two and a quarter.”

It was my Christmas present that year.
That is awesome! Nice history and story! Marlin levers are one of my favorites, the original JM. I will probably shoot it this week. Just crazy it's 44 years old, not one round fired. I treated myself to a 1894CS .357, for my 50th birthday a few years ago! Definitely my favorite! I don't need 2 39a with the long barrel, so like I mentioned, really like to trade or uy the 39A TDS model with the 16 inch barrel

·
Registered
880 Posts
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

My 39A
I stripped it and Tru-Oil it the first day I brought it home, it has the factory stain YUCKY junk that had to go
lol

this gun with it's very small scope has been shooting CCI quite or CB caps most of it's life at a 25 ft inside range, and the hits all touch LOL with out the user error that is

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
View attachment 906759

View attachment 906762

My 39A
I stripped it and Tru-Oil it the first day I brought it home, it has the factory stain YUCKY junk that had to go
lol

this gun with it's very small scope has been shooting CCI quite or CB caps most of it's life at a 25 ft inside range, and the hits all touch LOL with out the user error that is
Thats a real looker right there!

But you mentioned user error and it got me to thinking. On every single one of my guns seems the loose nut behind the trigger keeps them all from being as accurate as they could be!:)

Reactions: RACWIN375
1 - 20 of 22 Posts