Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made another one of those dumb decisions this morning. I was at a local small gun show, and saw a 1950 vintage model 336SC in .35 Rem., for $150! Pretty decent gun at about 80%, and although it had a recoil pad added, they didn't cut the stock to do it. Made the seller a offer of a little less, as I told myself I didn't need another .35, and he wouldn't budge, so I passed.
Came to my senses about 10 minutes later, and went back, but it was sold. At the price it was a steal, and I should have gotten it for someone, regardless. :oops:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Been there - did that - got the T shirt! I go back & it's GONE! :shock: The 35 Rem is pretty popular on the 336 forum. SW

·
Registered
394 Posts
This situation is a bit different...........I used to attend the gun shows religiously at the fairgrounds in Puyallup. Oftentimes I went just to look for collectible ammunition for my collection. Well, this fellow had a decent 1893 TD in 30-30 and was asking $375 for it! It still had traces of CC on it. I almost cried. Next month, another fellow had it and wanted $500! I had the money this time! That was about 10 years ago. Speaking of recoil pads, out of 26 or so vintage Marlins, I only had one that was 100% original. It was a nice 1891 tube loader in 32. That is gone, too. Sigh..... I was usually able to find replacement sights and un-buggered screws for most of my guns.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roundsworth,
You wouldn't recognise the gun show in Puyallup anymore. It's tough to even find old collectable guns there now.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I'm starting to learn what you guys mean.

My local gun shop owner bought out an estate a couple days ago. No old Marlins but a bunch of neat stuff including the S&W I mentioned. Well today I bought Winchester .22 Wildcats for 50 cents a box, new Federal .45 ACP 230g FMJ for $5.00 a box but held off on another gun purchase. I heard this afternoon that he had sold a bunch of it so I'll probably have my share of regrets when I go in there again Monday. We live in an economically depressed area so gun values are lower here than in other locations. Items that interested me were:

1) Colt Frontier Scout .22LR pre 1959 with the alloy frame $250.

2) Old model Ruger Single six with both cylinders $185.

3) Colt Official Police Target .22LR $295

All of these are in super condition.

Which do you think is the best deal between these three?

Geoff

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Geoff,

I vote for the Colt OPT! Those are SO slick! They were assembled & tuned by genuine craftsmen. I blieve it would also appreciate in value to a greater degree than the others. SW

·
Registered
496 Posts
I went to a gun show a couple of weeks ago and there was a Marlin Model 30 in 16 gauge for $250 asking price. It was in nice shape and looked unfooled with. I have been having a hankering for one for quite some time. I decided to walk a couple of isles and come back. Wouldn't you know it had sold in the ten minutes I was gone. :cry: Parley

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I've been there as well, but what REALLY gets me is when you find something you think is a good deal, and that you might need it, you pick it up, trying to decide whether or not to buy it or not, only to find you have drawn a crowd - and you know there are 4 people just waiting for you to put it down so they can get it - that's almost worse.

Shum8

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
shum8 said:
I've been there as well, but what REALLY gets me is when you find something you think is a good deal, and that you might need it, you pick it up, trying to decide whether or not to buy it or not, only to find you have drawn a crowd - and you know there are 4 people just waiting for you to put it down so they can get it - that's almost worse.

Shum8
Ah yes- the psychology of gunshows that everyone pretends not to notice. The crowd scene that Shum8 describes has prevented me from certain buys- because I don't want to be forced/rushed into buying if I am a little unsure.... But if it's something I want, (this especially goes for pre-70's gun digests) I ignore 'em. I've had people try and grab stuff outta my hands that I'm bent on purchasing, LOL. My response is "sorry, Mac- I'm buying this".... I've been lucky so far that no one has started the "bidding war" game with me in these instances. I have a temper, and maybe it shows enough to prevent this from happening....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
719 Posts
ahahaha!!!!!!!!

heh doc! I had a instance once, i was getting my money outta my wallet, for the box of stuff infront of me...the vendor was waiting, and another fellow starts looking thru my box! i thought maybe he was looking for a special part and would make a offer.....and he looks at the vendor and said"i'll buy this from you" and i told him, put it back i have bought the whole box.......the he gets mad and said "i'll remember this!" ahahahhaa.
i told him go ahead! .... ahaha...i had good backup that day, my other buddies were there...one was a marine just outta bootcamp, and a police capt, complete with the "gear" that went with him everywhere... :roll:
people can be butt holes......but this fellow didn't want to go outside to discuss it, or he might of got a NEW butt hole AHhhahahahahhaaaaaaaa....

remember guys! it's just "stuff"...no need to get a big dental bill! :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doc,
I had a similar incident to your's, and Kaintuck's. I was at a local show, and found a nice glass display case. I had been looking for one at a reasonable price for quite awhile, so I made the guy an offer. as he accepted my offer, another dealer came from behind the table across the aisle, and said he was planning to buy it. I told him it was already sold, and he said he had helped the guy price it, and was going to buy it.
The guy was pretty matter of fact about it, so I laid the cash on the table and picked the case up, thinking he would decide it was over. He still didn't get the hint, and told me he'd flip me for it. I couldn't believe this guy's nerve! I told him there was no reason I needed to flip him for it, as it was in my hands, and paid for!
As I turned and walked away, the guy was still digging for a coin to flip! What a Bozo!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts