Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a two gun set of the "Brace of 1000" Marlin cased set today. One 336 engraved, and one 39a to match. Octagon barrels, and brass trim. See Brophy page 541 for examples. The seller (an old friend) was wanting to sell the cased set, but got very bad news when we opened the case!
The room where they were stored was damp, and both of these new in the box, unfired guns were pitted and rusted on the barrels! A very expensive lesson for sure! Never store guns in a case, and never leave them for years, without looking at them frequently!
These two factory engraved, limited edition guns are not beyond repair, but they surely will be drastically reduced in value. My friend wants me to buy them, but I have no idea of how the value would be determined on such fine weapons, in their present state?
We both shed a tear when he opened the fitted case!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh man!!!!! I think I would die if that happened to me. Spend all that time searching, buying. cleaning, etc. and then open the case. Argghhhh!!! Hope they're not a Humpty Dumpty and you can put them back together again. :)

max

·
Banned
398 Posts
The "Brace of One Thousand" is noted for doing this. This is due to the
fact when the luggage case was made the factory made a poor choice
for the lining which was a green styrofoam that deterioted easily. Even if
one keeps this set in a dry envoirnment it will eventually rot. My advice to
anyone who has a set is to get it relined & always store the guns outside
the luggage case. I have seen more than one set where this has happened.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Max,
Actually he didn't spend a lot of time searching, but rather bought the set new in 1970 when they were offered by Marlin. I hope to get them to a good smith who does restoration work, and see if we can get them saved for him. He was just getting ready to sell them, and wanted me to find a buyer for them, but now I don't know.
Jorgy,
That's very interesting! Since I don't deal much with newer Marlins, I have very little knowledge of these. Thanks for that info!
Vall

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased one of the 1970 centennial 2 gun sets, number 25 of 1000. It appears that they have never been fired. I am looking for a nice display cabinet for them to hang over the mantle.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
My dream set of guns! I would love to stumble across a set someday when flush.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
For us Newbies--could someone post a picture of these so we know what you're talking about ? Thanks.

Steve

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
This is already in the Reference Section, but here is a PDF copy of them. Click on it below to open.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Halwg said:
This is already in the Reference Section, but here is a PDF copy of them. Click on it below to open.
Thanks Halwg--

Never heard of them before--look like engraved Zane Grey's--all for $700.00 for the pair--wouldn't that be nice in todays market.

Anyone know what they are worth in todays market ?

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
That is an awesome set of rifles. I would love to own a set of them.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I've seen selling prices range on auction between $1200-1700 over the last few years; approximately doubled in value since offering in 1970, not a bad investment (but as others stated, should not be stored within original case!).

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
ia1727 said:
Thanks Halwg--

Never heard of them before--look like engraved Zane Grey's--all for $700.00 for the pair--wouldn't that be nice in todays market.

Anyone know what they are worth in todays market ?

Steve
Really in 1970, $750 was quite a bit of money. I know I could not have afforded it since I was in college. Translate that into today's dollars. The factor is 5.44, so that would translate into roughly $4,080. I still can't afford it!

If you could find a GOOD pair for the $1200 - $1700 mentioned, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. That really sounds low to me.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Hal - please reference the following gunbroker auctions (from August 2011)
#245508086 sold for $1100, very nice condition, no case!
#246138356 UNSOLD at 1599.99, very nice w/ case and only $25 shipping from NY; reposted many times
I may be opinionated, but I don't lie... ;)
happy shopping, gewehr

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
gewehr said:
Hal - please reference the following gunbroker auctions (from August 2011)
#245508086 sold for $1100, very nice condition, no case!
#246138356 UNSOLD at 1599.99, very nice w/ case and only $25 shipping from NY; reposted many times
I may be opinionated, but I don't lie... ;)
happy shopping, gewehr
I didn't mean to imply that you lied. I meant to show that that is a very good price for those guns. That would translate to less that $300 in 1970 dollars. If they hadn't been fired, and had been kept from rusting, they are worth it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Has anyone ever wondered why The latter Marlin Firearms Company picked 1970 to be the year
for the 100th year of the Marlin name in the gunmaking business wouldn't 1963 have been a little
closer to the 100th year mark?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts